Darrin's Projects

I figured I should start sharing some of my projects for other’s inspiration.

This is a Maple Sign for a clients garden.
Sealed with shellac, and 4 coats of WoP.

This is a cribboard from @JasonMcginn shared project. It is for a retired CN Rail worker.
Shellac to fill the engravings, then sanded back to bare wood and finally 4 coats of WoP.
I used @PhilJohnson cribbage board pocket to inspire my own. First time using a non cnc type router bit. Used a dovetail bit for the undercut edge.

Darrin

10 Likes

Excellent work! Keep showing all your work as you do it. :grinning:

1 Like

Latest one off the machine. A custom pen collection box for our Pen Societies outgoing president.
I had a very poor logo image to begin with, but ended up creating a whole new one in Inkscape. That was a struggle, I can tell you. It came out looking good in the end.

The first trial cut, was in a piece of endgrain maple (floor sample) that I had lying around. It was cut to have the lettering raised. Looked pretty good.

The finished box is in Black Walnut with a Shellac/Poly finish. I tried doing the raised letter effect, but the letters kept chipping out, even with a down cut bit. I couldn’t afford more than one do-over, so I switched it to an engraved letter format.
I used a 1/8 DC with a 30deg V-bit for detail on the inner ring.
The circle of words and the outer ring are done with 30deg V-bit. (perhaps a bit to deep)
“The Big Nib” is with a 60deg V-bit.

Comments and Critics welcome.

9 Likes

Black walnut just looks to damn good.

The thin areas of The Big Nib, how deep did the 60deg get?

Not very deep, maybe .5mm or less, but I think it is deep enough with the big letters. I didn’t use the 30deg, because it would have left flat bottoms in the wider portions of the letters, which I didn’t want.

I think it looks fantastic!! Outstanding gift

Well, it looks awesome.