Designing and carving at the same time?

While the X-carve is carving, can I open a new file and do design work in Easel without interfering with the current carving project?

Yes you can. You can even change the design that is currently carving. Once you hit the Carve button and Easel generates the tool-paths on the server, Easel transfers the file to your machine and hands off control to the Easel Local driver to send the entire G-Code file to the X-Carve.

{:0)

Brandon Parker

1 Like

Since on the design I am currently working on takes several minutes to re-plan how does that work? I also note in the Paw Paw workshop videos Phil has a feed-rate override on the top of the screen. I don’t have one of those. Is that an add-on? (Browser is Chromium on Ubuntu). Feed override is probably my most common UI feature on my Tormach’s controller. Especially when trying a new program I’ve never milled before and hear some chatter.

Well, if you wanted to change the design that is currently milled and have the changes actually milled then you would have to stop the milling process and go back through the Carve initiation cycle. Changes being made to a design has no immediate effect to the GCode that is being sent to the X-Carve by the Easel Local driver.

As far as the feed-rate override goes, it should be up on the top Easel toolbar once a carve is in progress. Do you have the window zoomed in by any chance? Browsers tend to “misplace” objects when they are zoomed too far in. I have seen that be an “issue” for people experiencing missing controls.

Brandon Parker

Note: this is only true if your x-controller’s firmware is > V1.0c. That confused me for some time, there is a tiny note about this on the inventables page. Once I upgraded the firmware it showed up. Check your firmware version in the machine inspector.

Well, staying up to date on currently released firmware is normally always a good thing and kind of expected.

Brandon Parker