Detail tear out

It looks like you are carving it as a 3D STL file (rough and detail from a 3D model). Do you have all the text and lines entered as vectors?

.tap file

It looks like you’re pocketing most of the piece. What size bit are you using to do that?

6mm endmill roughing pass and a 2mm ball nose finishing pass

Wow, no wonder it’s taking 12 hours. I would have just run the whole piece with the 6mm (or even larger), making the final pass only .25mm or less thick as a cleanup pass, and set the 2mm bit to run along the edges. 5 minutes of light hand sanding in the middle to clean up any visible machining marks would set you up for engraving.

6mm roughing step over is set at 90%, finishing pass is only 1 pass but the step over is very small and its a largish area to machine so the time is very reasonable all things considered

Can you choose not to detail the flat in the middle?

yes but doing that can cause other issues

Ok. All I know is Easel.

I had an issue with feed rate always ripping those bits off letters and tips of sharp corners like stars on the softer woods, just gotta go real slow 6mm bit is already pretty big for text cut plunge style in my opinion that’s close to a 1/4" bit for us in the inch area and I would have that at 60 In/sec possibly 40 if it were causing problems. If it is going too fast and possibly out of square at all it will grab them as it cuts the grain is possibly going to tear out.

Have you looked over the free monthly projects from Vectric? I carved a few of them and studied what the designer did so I could understand how VCarving works. Learned a bunch. Just remember to edit you feed rate and plunge rate to something more suitable for the XCarve. Also go on YouTube to “work against the grain”. Jeff has a lot of tutorials to help you out.

Do you mean 20mm a sec or 20mm a min?

I would try the text as a vcarve path not a profile path. Testing some text till you get the setting as you like.
(start depth and flat depth, feed and RPM)

I’m also having some problems with detail tear-out with my X-carve. The lettering on the plaque I’m trying to carve is .25" tall lettering carved in .25 inch thick birch plywood with a 90 degree vbit, a depth-of-carve of .125", a feed speed of 35" per minute, and the spindle dial for the Dewalt 611 set at 4… The design was created with VCarve Pro and sent to the X-carve via Easel. (Note: I’ve tried to upload a photo of the carve for half-an-hour without success.)

I’d appreciate any advice on what changes to make and how to get this done because I need to have it finished in oak by Wednesday.

Dewalt set to one? Why so slow? Combined with a 70ipm feed rate wouldn’t it just chew or rip the wood out rather than carve it?

Thanks Phil! I didn’t realize that the Dewalt was running that fast. For some reason I had it in my head that the “one” setting was about 3,000rpm.

1 Like

Here ya go.

1 Like

And yes my .8kw spindles top RPM is 24000. I have yet to carve anything at that speed.

1 Like

just out of curiosity did you ever talk to vectric about this? They are very good at responding.

@StephenCook No. Never talked to Vectric. I did try and search their forums but I found that to be pretty much useless; particularly in comparison to the very helpful Inventables forums.

@PhilJohnson Where did you find a 20 degree Vbit? Inventables doesn’t seem to sell those.