Dewalt 611 Spindle Lock Device

I will post it when we get it done.

Hi Neil, my students have pretty well got it nailed down, having measured the machine and worked their way through drawing and combining shapes in easel. Their efforts are more of a “rectangle with a hole in it” than the C-shape of the SVG, but that’s ok. The finished tool will have room for a nice little arrow to remind them of the correct direction to turn the collet wrench.

We will test different types and thicknesses of materials to see what works best.

What do you teach?

Hi Neil, Officially I am a math teacher, but I took over a trashed out middle school wood shop about 6 years ago. So I teach “21st century shop class” and also wrangle the gifted/ talented crew at my middle school. I teach basic hand tool skills (how to use a tape measure, square, screwdriver, hammer, hand saw, plane), some beginning machine work (scroll saw, band saw, drill press, sanders), basic CAD with EASEL, SketchUp, and TinkerCAD, and CAM with the X-Carve and a motley assemblage of home brewed 3d printers.

1 Like

Hi Christopher
I hve been using the Spindle Lock DEvice since I first designed it. I printed it in PLA and I’m please to say that it has stood up the the vigors of use. Glafd to be of help.

1 Like

Thanks Allan, I am using your design, printed in PLA and confirm that it works well. The durability issue has more to do with how some 11-year-olds tend to treat things. They are not necessarily destructive, but they tend to stress things in unintended ways. I think our final version will be larger and I will engrave some instructions on it, or use the blank area to record machine settings, or be useful in some other way.