Dewalt DWP611 Dust Shoe

I would also use a clear flexible plastic skirt instead of the black brush material.

Although I have been looking at the constant height collectors that mount to the X carriage. That seems like a better solution to me. since it would adjust to the material surface and then stay at that height as the spindle cut.

Thatā€™s why I made it adjustable height. If its fixed height, either youā€™re gonna see big gap under or will be press down very hard to material. My next design will be two side light spring loaded, then can adjust height itself. Also will be two pieces side way, when you want to change bit, it is easy to swing a side, wide open for bit changing.

1 Like

I have not seen a spring tensioned design before, that is a great idea.

I really like how nicely this one is build, and how well it fits! It just kinda shoves the Z around. Iā€™m going to try it on another project, I think, with a bit less consistent pressure on all of the bristles at once.

I made mine real quick one night from a rework of the air diverter and it works awesome! the only thing I want to change is I want to add a magnetic on/off for the skirt like @AlanDavis, but I see zero dust as it is right now.

That looks nice, have you published it anywhere yet?

And you are seeing no Z-deviation when the bristles reverse?

None what so ever, I even did projects where it went down to the base. The bristles are nice and soft

Interestingā€¦ I wonder if the bristles on mine are just too stiff?

Maybe, I used these, Give them a try

2 Likes

Unfortunately, I canā€™t actually remove the brush from the shoe, itā€™s bonded into a plexiglass base that attaches magnetically to the section attached to the router. Itā€™s a superb setup and REALLY easy to use at bit-change time. Just not so awesome for being able to change out brushes.

Well being you have a X-carve it should be pretty easy to remake that bottom piece with the new bristles, a few magnets and a piece of plexi :slight_smile: Be a maker, not a buyer

5 Likes

You DO have a point there! :slight_smile:

I also have a friend with a 3D printer, so Iā€™ll be having him run up one of those fixed-height dust collectors as well.

the problem with the fixed shoes are what happens when you want to use thicker materials? do you have to unscrew and change the height each time?

Well, and my additional concern is that I use screws to hold down my workpieces fairly frequently, and the screw heads tend to stick up above the surface.

I think the solution might be to do the stiffening mode on the x-axis, and add that steel spine. The makerslide is just too darn weak for that long of a span under torsional load.

I attached a fixed shoe to the z makerslide. I do have to adjust the height for different material, with two screws going into the sides with t-slot nuts. You do also need to work with clamps that are flush with the material, or use flat head brass screws to hold down through your material. Iā€™m looking for brass M5 screws so I can use the holes in my waste-board. Brass is soft enough that some bits can handle a run-in.

In general the fixed shoe works great, but is less forgiving, and literally less flexible.

Does anyone have a good 3d printable version available for the DeWalt yet? I have seen it done here, but I havenā€™t noticed any files available.

2 Likes

Iā€™m talking with KentCNC right now, I think Iā€™m on the track of a solution!

@BrianSaban: Do you have any trouble with the foam getting ā€œsucked inā€ by the vacuum, instead of staying out at the periphery and away from the cutter where it belongs?

That is the problem I have with mine. I used some craft foam as the skirting (It is what I had handy) and it is too flexible, being sucked into the vacuum.
It wasnā€™t an issue when I used my small shop vac, it just didnā€™t have the pull, but my big shop vac does.
I need to try some stiffer brushes or other material.
I also think redoing the shoe so there is a bit more space between the intake tube and the edge of the shoe will help.