Does anyone surface wood?

Man I really need a planer lol does anyone else do this?

I am taking a board from .75" to .1875" and over 100 inch/min

Definitely something I’d do with my planer and thicknesser. A lot faster and a lot less mess, well same amount of mess but at least my thicknesser has a dust collector.

yeah planner are super expensive though I mean you are looking at 1000.00 bucks for a halfway decent one most of my work doesn’t need a planner but still i need to buy one i hope to get one in the next couple of months

0.75" to 0.1875"? That’s a lot of oak being turned into sawdust. What a shame.

Still… seems like something I’d do if I were in a pinch and couldn’t source the correct material.

@NicholasKoza

yeah I really hate to plane anything but when your in a pinch your in a pinch like you said

That’s a resaw job for the bandsaw.

Use whatever you have to do what you need. Many better was to do it though if you have the tools.

@TomP

thats true I think some of the best craftsman are the people that can work with what they have you dont need a shop full of tools to make great things you just need patience and a level head

anyone can put slot A into slot B but not everyone can go over to slot C say hi and then make it back to slot B on-time!!

I do it with items that will not fit in my thickness planer. Or for end grain projects
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ARDEN-Bottom-Cleaning-Router-Bits-1-4-1-1-4-Shank-1-4-1-Wood-Working-Bit-/231712774205?hash=item35f328583d:g:04cAAOSwFnFWFE8V

I don’t know where do you live. This one I use for thickness and I’m very happy.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-15-Amp-10-in-Compact-Job-Site-Table-Saw-DW745/100497987

I do this sometimes, too…
But it only makes sense as long as you do it just once in a while.
A proper planer is much much faster and also does a better job in terms of surface quality.

But sometimes it is really useful for parts that do not fit into a planer - e.g. nicely level the face of a roughly cut tube (my machine allows to clamp material perpendicular to the machine bed - anything up to 80cm in length will fit…)

Also keep in mind Most planers are not made to thin wood below 1/4" thick. You risk getting a pile of tooth picks.

A big majority of my materials have to be thinned down to 0.100" and thinner. I use a drum sander for this. I chose the Powermatic DDS225 dual drum sander since it will sand down to 1/32"(0.03125"). These machines are not cheap, but I found one on Craigslist for $1500.

Another option, the Safe-T-Planer. This is an option that uses your drill press. Originally designed and built by the Wagner company out of Tulsa, OK. Unfortunately this business closed its doors a few years back and the Safe-T-Planer was discontinued. Fortunately new clones have surfaced to take its place. The most notable one is made in Brazil and has six cutters instead of the original 3. Here is a link to the sight. It is called the Super 6 planer

http://www.musictools.com.br/

The other option, although not as nice, is available through Stew Mac.

http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/Types_of_Tools/Planes/StewMac_Safe-T-Planer.html

The cutter made in Brazil is the Superior Cutter of the two. There are also other brands on the market as well, most of which are inferior products. If your interested in this tool buy one of the two listed above or an original Wagner if your lucky enough to find one. The other brands have had some quality and use issues, so it’s best to steer clear of those.

I made a jig that sits on my drill press for using this method. It works really well. If anyone is interested I can share photos of the process.

I have seen benchtop drill presses operating this planer. This tool does not leave a perfect surface, it will need some sanding afterwards. But it is a quick and cheap method to thickness your material without a planer.

Now if the spindle could run a 1/2 collet on the CNC, this tool could probably be used on the CNC, if the speed can be slowed to the recommended RPM. This would make quick work of surfacing. But this tool requires a much lower RPM than the Dewalt 611 has to offer. It will probably require an Actual CNC Spindle.

Check out this video on YouTube:

1 Like