Does anyone use a Bump Stop to quickly set their material?

Bullsnit dust shields, I should have thought of that!

I have some of that corrugated sign panel material around from when I worked at a nationwide propane company (begins with an “A”) and had to change out signage on cylinder cages at about 25 stores. it’s some tough and useful stuff.

As it is I used 5 ply / 1/4" floor underlayment and it makes a world of difference!

I used some 3/4" MDF along the Y rails. That in combinations with a dust boot keeps all the debris off my Y rails and helps to stiffen things up considerably. I’ll post a pic this afternoon.

I use two screws in my extrusion bed for X and a flange that I attached for Y. Works fine!

Google Photos

1 Like

I wouldn’t mind seeing your file, thanks in advance.

I would be interested in giving it a look. Thanks.

I know you’re a busy man Charlie, but would still love to see some pics of how you set up your 3/4 MDF :grin:

Expanded plastic? There search engine brings up 0 matches for “Expanded plastic”…

Thanks Phil. Didn’t know that HD sold that. I’ve been buying mine for years from Parts Express for around half the price.

Is this what your were looking for?

The MDF along the Y axis rails does double duty. It keeps debris out of the belts and stiffens the heck out the long rails. They are held in place with some insertion nuts and screws. I didn’t have any real insertion nuts so I took some small square nuts and sanded them down to fit and then cut off some screws the right length and badabing badaboom, stiff Y rails and clean belts.

1 Like

@PhilJohnson

pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis
(aka real word…look it up lol!!)

2 Likes

Thanks Man,
That one is on the wall in my living room.

I went on a clock making binge and made several

Here is one I made for an old childhood friend.

Here is one I made for Jordan Taylor of the Denver Broncos after their Super Bowl win last year.

Nathan likes cars so I made him this one.

3 Likes

Same here! My dad LOVES Doctor Who!
So I couldn’t resist!

5 Likes

I got side clocked! Errr… sidetracked!

2 Likes

I used easel and a 1/4" down cut to carve an L in the lower left corner with a sacrificial piece in place, then I placed the carpenter square over it and aligned both edges with the edges of the cut. With the square clamped down I drilled two holes thru the square, the sacrifical board and into the table. Then I removed the square and sacrificial board, and put the square directly on the table and used the same two holes as indexing pins to drill new holes and install threaded inserts in the table to screw the square down.

Hope that makes sense.

I surfaced a 3/4" MDF waste board which created a raised edge all along the Y axis. I put the carpenter square up against the left side…perfect alignment.

Does anyone have an svg file for a bump stop for a 750mm machine? Just got my machine last week and think it would help a lot. Thanks in advance and these forums are awesome for newbies like myself.

Just create/draw one in Easel.

2 Likes

There is one on the Inventables easel projects page . I remember Mo talking about it on a how to video for carving both sides with easel pro. It even has the right spaced holes for screwing into the inserts on your wasteboard whee you screw your clamps.

Thanks Alan! I do remember Mo doing that recently. Ill check it out. I’m still learning Easel and to get the exact measurement for the holes seems almost impossible.

1 Like

No problem. I’m going to make one the week end. I’m in the same boat as yourself in regards to learning the software. Hope all goes well. Keep us posted

when I need a bump stop I use an old metal square. I just drilled some holes in it at the correct locations and I bolt it to the waste board as needed and then remove when I do not want it in the way. works great.

I just used a v-bit as a reference and bolted it down on a apex (corner) and run the router along both axis to the end of the square then made the hole so that it was in the right place on the outer edges. (still in the centre so the square was not ruined).