Drawer front/back dadoes for drawer bottom

Is there a toggle or option to have drawer bottom dadoes in the fronts and backs like the sides? If I missed it somewhere sorry for the duplicate question.

1 Like

Hey there, Eric

Sorry for the delayed reply! We don’t currently have an option for the drawer construction that you described. The image below shows our current locking-rabbet drawer construction method. The front abd back drawer panels are not dadoed on the inside faces because they already have rabbets cut into the outside faces. To be able to mill on both faces of the panels would involve a process called “flip milling.” We’re trying to avoid flip-milling in Easel Cabinetmaker for the time being, simply because it can involve a lot of trial and error to flip and reposition the material accurately.

If you have additional feedback or insights on your drawer-construction practices that you would like to share, please let me know! We’re always very happy to recieve feedback on how we can make Easel Cabinetmaker a more valuable tool for our users.

1 Like

Hey Natalie,

What about an option for constructing drawers with butt-joints instead of the locking rabbet? Something like the below picture. That may also help with any plywood thickness inconsistencies since the dado on the bottom could have a little bit of play in it if your 3/4" or 1/2" ply isn’t exactly 3/4" or 1/2" thick. Whereas a locking rabbet has to be mostly spot on with the thickness of your material. Am I thinking about the right?

Just a thought! :slight_smile:

-Jonathan

3 Likes

Jonathan,

That is a great suggestion, and thank you for including the diagram to outline what you’d like to see in the app! I’ve added this to our pool of requested features and functionality, and we’ll keep in touch as we are able to make more progress on this additional drawer construction option. Thank you, as always, for your detailed and enthusiastic feedback!

-Natalie