Easel for Linux

I have installed the latest Easel driver for Linux (0.3.18) but can’t seem to get it working. I’m using Ubuntu 18.04.4.

After trying to troubleshoot online, I’ve tried the following:
-adding my username to dialout group
-used Gdebi to install (Package installer shows Status: Same version is already installed)
-tried Firefox instead of Chrome

I can’t get my Carve button to turn green. It remains blue and when I click on it it asks me to download the driver for Linux.

I purchased a new Chromebook after seeing in these forums that others were able to get Chromebooks working after installing Linux but I can’t seem to get past the Blue Carve button! I tried email support but was unable to get support because it’s a Chromebook.

Is there anyone out there that might be familiar with running Easel via Linux Ubuntu 18.04 that might be able to help me out?

I’m a newbie when it comes to Linux but I’ve been able to get the terminal commands figured out so far. I can try to provide any additional information that might help shed some light on what’s going on!

I’d love to get my XCarve up and running on this computer that I purchased specifically for carving.

Thanks so much!

Have you tried GitHub - samyk/easel-driver: Easel driver for Linux, Mac, Windows, ARM, Raspberry Pi, Intel, FTDI, CH340, CH341, CP210x, FTDI clones, local, and remote access to GRBL-based CNC controllers?

I haven’t been able to get this to work at all… Just lists a bunch of nvm failures and doesn’t run at all.

Some proper install instructions would be good.

Will you please share what the errors are, either here or on the git’s Issues section? It’s hard for me to guess what you’re experiencing.

The installation instruction is a single command as documented under Quick Start on the repo and I just re-validated on a Pi that it runs properly with no errors for me but since it’s not working for you, I don’t know what software/versions that might be on your system that might be preventing interoperability.

1 Like

Failed to download ‘https://raw.githubusercontent.com/nvm-sh/nvm/v0.35.3/bash_completion
=> nvm source string already in /home/bryan/.bashrc
=> bash_completion source string already in /home/bryan/.bashrc
main: line 397: /home/bryan/.nvm/nvm.sh: No such file or directory
=> Close and reopen your terminal to start using nvm or run the following to use it now:

export NVM_DIR=“$HOME/.nvm”
[ -s “$NVM_DIR/nvm.sh” ] && . “$NVM_DIR/nvm.sh” # This loads nvm
[ -s “$NVM_DIR/bash_completion” ] && . “$NVM_DIR/bash_completion” # This loads nvm bash_completion

• [ ! -e /home/bryan/.nvm ]

• [ -s /home/bryan/.nvm/nvm.sh ]

• true

• echo Almost done! Do you want Easel driver to run on startup (will install system service) [yn]:
    Almost done! Do you want Easel driver to run on startup (will install system service) [yn]:

• read yn
    y

• check_init
    sh: 189: check_init: not found

• create_start_script

• pwd

• driverdir=/home/bryan/easel-driver

• touch /home/bryan/easel-driver/run.sh

• chmod +x /home/bryan/easel-driver/run.sh

• cat

• install_service

• [ = 1 ]

• touch /home/bryan/easel-driver/EaselDriver

• whoami

• whoami

• cat

• sudo mv /home/bryan/easel-driver/EaselDriver /etc/init.d/

• sudo chkconfig --add EaselDriver
    sudo: chkconfig: command not found

• sudo chkconfig --level 2345 EaselDriver on
    sudo: chkconfig: command not found

• break

• screen -L -dmS easel node iris.js

• sleep 3

• echo \n\n\n

• tail screenlog.0
    at require (internal/modules/cjs/helpers.js:74:18)
    at Object. (/home/bryan/easel-driver/iris.js:1:16)
    at Module._compile (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:999:30)
    at Object.Module._extensions…js (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:1027:10)
    at Module.load (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:863:32)
    at Function.Module._load (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:708:14)
    at Function.executeUserEntryPoint [as runMain] (internal/modules/run_main.js:60:12) {
    code: ‘MODULE_NOT_FOUND’,
    requireStack: [ ‘/home/bryan/easel-driver/iris.js’ ]
    }

• echo \n\nDone! Easel driver running in background. Run screen -r to bring it to foreground.

after it completes easel still tell me to install linux driver… i have everything else working like UGC etc… so usb, permissions and ch340 driver is ok.

internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:818
throw err;
^

Error: Cannot find module ‘socket.io
Require stack:

• /home/bryan/easel-driver/iris.js
    e[90m at Function.Module._resolveFilename (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:815:15)e[39m
    e[90m at Function.Module._load (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:667:27)e[39m
    e[90m at Module.require (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:887:19)e[39m
    e[90m at require (internal/modules/cjs/helpers.js:74:18)e[39m
    at Object. (/home/bryan/easel-driver/iris.js:1:16)
    e[90m at Module._compile (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:999:30)e[39m
    e[90m at Object.Module._extensions…js (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:1027:10)e[39m
    e[90m at Module.load (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:863:32)e[39m
    e[90m at Function.Module._load (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:708:14)e[39m
    e[90m at Function.executeUserEntryPoint [as runMain] (internal/modules/run_main.js:60:12)e[39m {
    code: e[32m’MODULE_NOT_FOUND’e[39m,
    requireStack: [ e[32m’/home/bryan/easel-driver/iris.js’e[39m ]
    }

Thanks, will you share the output of the following: ls -lha ~/ | grep nvm

These errors look interesting and are likely the root cause, though I’m not sure why so your ls will help.

curl -o- https://raw.githubusercontent.com/nvm-sh/nvm/v0.35.3/install.sh
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
100 13527 100 13527 0 0 33219 0 --:–:-- --:–:-- --:–:-- 33235
=> Downloading nvm as script to ‘/home/bryan/.nvm’
Failed to download ‘https://raw.githubusercontent.com/nvm-sh/nvm/v0.35.3/nvm-exec’
Failed to download ‘https://raw.githubusercontent.com/nvm-sh/nvm/v0.35.3/nvm.sh’
Failed to download ‘https://raw.githubusercontent.com/nvm-sh/nvm/v0.35.3/bash_completion’
=> nvm source string already in /home/bryan/.bashrc
=> bash_completion source string already in /home/bryan/.bashrc
main: line 397: /home/bryan/.nvm/nvm.sh: No such file or directory

Here’s what happens on my system if I already have nvm installed:

+ curl -o-+ bash -
 https://raw.githubusercontent.com/nvm-sh/nvm/v0.35.3/install.sh
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100 13527  100 13527    0     0  35493      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 35597
=> nvm is already installed in /home/pi/.nvm, trying to update using git
=> => Compressing and cleaning up git repository

If it’s not clear by next post, you can also email me at drv@samy.pl and if you don’t mind giving me a temporary shell (we can reverse proxy through my system so you don’t have to open any ports if preferrer) then I could do some further investigation, or we could chat live and figure it out.

bryan@laptop:~$ ls -lha ~/ | grep nvm
drwxrwxr-x 2 bryan bryan 4.0K Mar 21 03:36 .nvm

Thanks, so the dir exists and is owned by your user which I wasn’t sure of. Mind giving me temp access to this machine? I’d be able to figure out what’s wrong and create a new version to work on your system and ones with whatever issue is occurring. You can email me at drv@samy.pl and we can figure out a way to do that. Alternatively you could try running it from a different user…since your user already has nvm and there may be some issue there, maybe that’s related. Another possibility is if your network isn’t working properly, hence why it may not be able to download things…is network available and DNS working during these? HTTPS certs would likely need to match as well in case local cert list was out of date.

I have emailed you :slight_smile:

I have tried installation under a different user and problem is the same, network and internet access is available and working during installation… The first part of the installation downloads the original easel driver no problem.

I add also that .nvm folder is present but it does not contain any files.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.