Easel is primitive

Tom, every piece can be exactly brought to size. You can enter positions and sizes very precisely. Working on a piece use “shape”, and sizes and positions can be entered very precisely.

2 Likes

A lot of feelings discussed here. I’m just going to leave my experience / workflow in case someone needs a reference.

If you don’t want to read this long post here is the summary of my evaluation of different software and my recommendations for the 3 things you need to have: a design, the gcode (program) and a software to send the gcode to the Xcarve.
As always, the right answer depends on what you want/need.

• If you’re a hobbyist, don’t need 3D models and don’t want / have the time to spend on learning Design/CAD/CAM (GCode) Easel should be good enough for all 3.

• If you need better 2D designs invest / learn to design in iIlustrator ($$) / Inkscape (free) rather than Easel PRO

• If you need an easier way to design components, full 3D designs, you design assemblies like furniture or could use design templates that can be modified to make new designs, learn Fusion 360. It will be worth the time (bonus, works for 3D printing too)

• If you do production runs, time to do batches is important or want to eliminate wasted time overall, use Universal G Code Sender… Otherwise you can upload Gcode to Easel

For context, I’m a mechanical engineer who programs since high school, so before I started with CNC I was familiar with design and very comfortable around hardware and software. Also, I do not make things commercially so it does not make sense to pay for software to run the Xcarve.

DESIGN:
Easel: Only 2D or 2.5D. Cant do 3D models. I started with Easel and was very happy with it. It takes your hand and guides you step by step so you can start creating things. Best for: quick shapes

Inkscape/Illustrator: ONLY 2D. Easier to design than easel, and also to import or create SVG files. I use Illustrator since we have a license for other reasons but heard Inkscape is good enough and free. Best for: designs (letters, logos, images)

CAD
Fusion 360: 3D models. I enjoy designing probably more than building, so I learned Sketchup and later changed to Fusion 360. A fully featured CAD/CAM free for hobbyists, that includes “parametric design” (variables in the design that you change and the design changes automatically). Best for: Designing 3D models and assemblies like furniture. You can design a complete model, including curved surfaces, make sure everything fits and then get a list of all components with measures.

GCODE

GCODE: the language that gives instructions to the CNC. I would recommend reading/learning so you understand what the Xcarve does / can do.

Easel: Once you design or import an SVG or DFX you don’t have to worry about Gcode, it will work. You can design on Easel and export the G Code. Cutting paths on the Free version are not the most efficient so it will take more time that it should, but hey, it’s free and easy. Best for: Easel designs.

Fusion 360:
It will take time to learn, since it has many, many configurations and options. It’s not always easy to setup but once you get it, it’s very practical since it’s linked to the design and any change only need an update to generate the new gcode: Best for: 3D designs, Designs they have to be modified.

GCODE SENDER

Easel: Straightforward, guides you step by step. Very nice as a newbie, but once you learn it becomes annoying. Best for: Newbies, 1-2 carvings per session. NOTE: if the GCode is 3D, Easel will send and make a 3D model)

I get the need for newcomers to confirm every step, but, can we have the choice to take the training wheels off? Yes, the material is secure, yes it’s the thickness I stated in the design, probe should be one click (start), not 6. When you’re making 1 cut you can live with it. When it’s more than 3 it’s a huge waste of time.

Universal G Code Sender (free): Full control of the machining process, including one step probe, macros to program movements or using a game controller as a pendant (remote control). Will take time, sometimes it wont work as it’s supposed to and you’ll have to figure out why. Best for: Any situation.

• Please do consider English is my second language, in case you feel compelled to correct my grammar.
3 Likes

@CarlosOlvera that was extremely well-put!
English was excellent and I’m not going to re-read it to inspect grammar, it was perfectly readable to me :rofl:

However I did see this part:

And thought you might be interested in the option currently in Beta testing called “repeat carving” you can enroll in beta testing in the options tab:

Then, once you’ve opted into Beta Testing, under general settings turn on the option of repeat carving:

With that option turned on, then after the first carve is complete, the next repeat carve of the same design can be done without the 6 page process, It immediately goes to the last screen with only 2 buttons to press: “turn spindle on” and “carve” It automatically uses the last Z and last X,Y :+1:

Here’s what it shows when I click the green “carve” button at the top right after already running the same exact job prior.

However, If you’re already using UGS sender, I’d stick with that because repeat carving is still 3 less buttons even with this improvement. Personally I started using OpenBuilds Control sender and love that one, but UGS is great too!

2 Likes

So if your earning over 100K what are you doing on free software designed for hobby work and small jobs. Just spend some of your money to set your business up correctly and claim it as a tax deduction.

1 Like

It sounds like you may not have followed my initial response the way it was intended. The OP stated in other words that he basically doesn’t want to use Easel Pro, yet he stated that he was “considering the expense of Vcarve Pro” which based on the wording of that I believed that he did not desire to spend the funds required to purchase Vcarve Pro based on the use of the word “considering.” So in response I provided a free solution. . . well it it is free until the user is earning over $100k annual revenue from the use of the software, per their user agreement.

So I think we are in agreement, that if one is earning 6 figures from their cnc business than they should have little issue paying for appropriate software needed to run that business, considering they can claim it as an expense as you pointed out. However in this case Autodesk offers their Fusuon360 software at no expense… up until that 100K revenue point and that was the reason I included that detail. :+1:

I did not say that I am making 100K from my cnc business.

Wow you guys should make up!! And move back to your own world of CNC and use whatever cam software you want whether you can afford pay for it or use for free. :rightwards_hand: :leftwards_hand: :handshake:

2 Likes

Further to your email to me.
I use easel for what it is intended and don’t have a problem with it at all.
Let’s see, I use
A Linux OP - free
FreeCad - free
Inkscape - free
Easel - free
Universal G-Code sender - free
Candle - free
Laser GRBL -free

I can use each of these programs to get from basic engrave jobs done or more advanced jobs with accurate measurements.
I do not use Easel to draw my jobs only to put the cut depths inn and tooling and to send the to my CNC.
For this function of the process Easel is no only free but the best for this purpose. If you look around there is always a way to get around any problems you may be having to achieve the results you are after. Rubbishing the program you are trying to use is not productive at all.
If you have some helpful input I am sure the rest of us would love to hear it.

2 Likes

I can’t disagree with these comments. I purchased the X-Carve Pro and have had it set up for about a month now, and other than surfacing, I haven’t used it. And it’s mainly because I find Easel very odd. I’ve used Carbide Create, and I use Lightburn, and they’re both pretty easy to use. Even for somewhat complex designs. But I just can’t seem to “figure out” Easel. And the strange thing about that is Easel is supposed to be easy. I’m thinking it’s just too easy and because of that, it lacks functionality. Either way, if a company is going to sell $10K+ machines, they can’t rely on “we’re just a small company” when issues or shortcomings are found. I think the machine is great. But beyond that…not so impressed. But hopefully that changes.

Ya know, this whole discussion reminds me as a years long argument. I’m referring to the arguments over should one use Windows, MacOS, Linux or perhaps something else. My answer, use whatever works for you, what works for your experience and training, what works for your budget… What ever works for you is perfect. Suggestions are useful, arguments are not.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.