Easel issues and questions

I am trying to get my first project cut on my CNC but I am having a number of issues.

To start with, I am trying to cut this project I designed

It is a faceplate for a small electronics project box.

My questions are

1. Why does the black area at the top and bottom of the rectangles get larger as the overall rectangle gets larger?
    I just want it to cut out a rectangle

2. Why are the areas red on the preview? I understand this means it will not cut those areas?

3. How do I make a rectangle with rounded corners?

4. Is there a particular type of plastic and bit that I should be using? I am finding the edges of what it cuts are very rough. I am using a 1/8 multi purpose cutting bit on a Dremil. The plastic I am using was something I picked up from a hardware store. I think it is usually used in skylights.

5. Does anyone have any recommendations for projects good for calibration through Easel?

The last thing is that for some reason when cutting with Easel each pass the bit gets higher instead of lower.
If I manually move the Z axis up and down while measuring, it is always correct.

I start the cutting process by moving the bit down so it is touching the project. Then follow the steps in Easel.
When I push the raise bit button, it moves up. Then I start the cut process.
It moves to position, then lowers itself down and cuts the first layer correctly.
The bit then moves up, Positions itself, moves down but doesn’t touch the project. Subsequent cuts never end up touching the project. In some cases it seems that each pass the bit is actually higher each time.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what I can look at to fix this?

Why does the black area at the top and bottom of the rectangles get larger as the overall rectangle gets larger?

This is an issue with the Easel rectangle tool. We are aware of it and plan to correct it in the future.

Why are the areas red on the preview? I understand this means it will not cut those areas?

Normally that is true. However, in this case it is due to the same issue that is causing your border problem :frowning:

How do I make a rectangle with rounded corners?

Right now you’d have to make a rounded rectange outside Easel and import it as part of an SVG. You could probably mimic a rounded rectangle using the “Combine” tool with circles and rectangles in Easel, but it would be tedious.

Is there a particular type of plastic and bit that I should be using? I am finding the edges of what it cuts are very rough. I am using a 1/8 multi purpose cutting bit on a Dremil. The plastic I am using was something I picked up from a hardware store. I think it is usually used in skylights.

It depends on what you’re trying to do, but I’ve found that you can cut acrylic pretty well with a fishtail bit.

Does anyone have any recommendations for projects good for calibration through Easel?

A lot of people do some version of the circle, diamond, square project. I don’t know if there is an Easel project for this yet (but someone should create one :).

The last thing is that for some reason when cutting with Easel each pass the bit gets higher instead of lower. If I manually move the Z axis up and down while measuring, it is always correct.

Is it possible that the bit is slipping in the collet as it pushes down into the material? This could cause the bit to be higher than it should be on subsequent passes.

Why does the black area at the top and bottom of the rectangles get larger as the overall rectangle gets larger?

This is an issue with the Easel rectangle tool. We are aware of it and plan to correct it in the future.

To clarify, this bug only affects how the shapes are previewed in Easel. The toolpaths (which you can see by clicking “Show Toolpaths”) are not affected.

Thanks everyone for the replies. That clears a lot of things up.

I will try some further calibration, tightening things up, and some of those bits to see if I can get it cutting properly.

I have updated to the latest grbl and set a Z axis speed. It appears to be now cutting properly :smiley:

1 Like