Easel Not Connecting To X-Carve (Mac osx)

@JohnPattillo No. I stopped trying since the windows worked.

On another thread about this issue they talked about a new version of Easel that fixed the issue. You might like to try again.

Yep. Works in Mac now as well. Thanks!

1 Like

I am new to this world and new to this machine. I purchased a built out CNC machine with the arduino in it and my mac will not connect. I am not familiar with a hex code but tried what you suggested and was not successful. I have a shapeko 2. Any other suggestions? It looks like the Arduino is connected because I ran the blink program and the green led on the card blinked. I am sorry I am a novice and do not understand most of the Jargon here because I did not build it from scratch.

I did the hex loader and it did not load text as you described or have a success text in it. I downloaded from the link you mentioned.

The machine worked at the place I bought it from and I tested it with his Windows computer. Unfortunatley it is not connecting to my mac. I am running Mac 0S 10.9.5

If you ran the blink program, you removed the GRBL from the arduino. You will need to reflash the GRBL firmware. I am not proficient on the mac, so I can’t help you there. Search the forum for reflashing the arduino on a mac.

If i can get a hold of a PC can you walk me through how to reflash it?

Take a look at theis link, it shows how to do it from mac (or a pc).

1 Like

Just go step by step…it will work.

1 Like

That works once i got it reflashed - thank you so much.

2 Likes

Glad to hear it!

1 Like

Hey guys, just a quick question regarding Arduino IDE uploading the grbl to the Arduino. I do have an Arduino Mega Model 2560 R3 (Thus no Arduino ‘Uno’ as stated in all the how-to’s). Which grbl do i have to upload?

By the way: I am facing the same issues as the ones who posted here: connection with MacBook Air (High Sierra 10.13.6) with UGS --> OK! Connection with Easel --> no connect. That is why I want to re-upload the grbl to the Arduino.
I hope this makes sense from your point of view as well. If not or any other hints, please let me know.

Thanks.

I am no expert but hope somebody can correct me.
grbl is grbl and there are no specific models for which Arduino you are using, only current or older versions. You need to get grbl into the IDE. When setting up the IDE you determine which Arduino from a drop down menu.
I have High Sierra 10.13.6 on my MacBook Air and Easel has worked with no problems. I suspect, although not to knowledgeable, is you problem relates to getting grbl on to the Arduino as if it is not there it will not connect. Are you able to download using IDE?

Hi Hamish,
thanks for your reply. I can connect via IDE - my only concern is the version of grbl.

Arduino uno (for example): GitHub - gnea/grbl: An open source, embedded, high performance g-code-parser and CNC milling controller written in optimized C that will run on a straight Arduino
Arduino mega: GitHub - gnea/grbl-Mega: An open source, embedded, high performance g-code-parser and CNC milling controller written in optimized C that will run on an Arduino Mega2560

I think I will try the grbl-mega version. Makes sense, doesn’t it?

If you are using a mega then yes. I have Easel working on nano, uno and mega. I have however moved away from the Arduino based systems and now using Linuxcnc.