Easel Photo Carving?

Need more info. :wink:

Carve it lets see how it turns out

Phil,

How do you think this approach compares to the half tone approach? We are exploring a half tone app for Easel. The app would be a new kind of app that would import g-code from the app into Easel for carving.

Jeff

1 Like

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the feedback about tool path performance. We have noted it. We are always working on our tool path generation logic and the overall performance of Easel.

Jeff

1 Like

I don’t think the result will be very satisfactory if I may theorize here.
First of all in a regular picture there is no relation between lightness and 3D-depth. The picture you use as an example might be usable in this regard, but anything with light backgrounds for example will give strange results.
Second there won’t be a color difference between layers as the preview suggests.

But that’s theory, just try it and show the result :slight_smile:

Interesting result. you should keep messing with the contrast so you end up with some Frank Miller type stuff.

1 Like

This is basically what Photo V-Carve does. It does ( in simplified terms) cut darker ares deeper and light areas shallow…unless you invert colors for a lithopane. There is also some photo adjusting to get the best results. Of course it also costs $140 or so. Think it is remarkable what you have done with this so far Phil.

1 Like

I think we’ll probably start with the halftone approach since the code for that is already open source.

2 Likes