Easel works with Arduino uno and CNC Shield V3

Product Description:
This expansion board as a driver expansion board, can be used for engraving machines, 3D printers, CNC. It is a total of four slots, can drive four A4986 stepper motor. Each road stepper motors only need two IO ports. In other words, six IO ports can be well managed three stepper motors. Very convenient to use.
UNO for Arduino module IO port correspondence

Yes, but you will want the DRV8825 drivers. The A4988 may be suitable for a 3d printer, but will not be nearly robust enough for the X-Carve.

One other note…Be sure the Arduino you get has the USB B port rather than the USB micro connector. A lot of clone UNO boards have a different USB to serial chip, and Easel will not recognize the driver for it automatically.

EDIT: The boards with the micro USB connection are not bad. It’s just not detected with Easel. I have used mine just fine with UGS and other software, and would actually prefer to use it for the X-Carve more if the current versions of Easel recognized it.

Hoping to get some insight here. Im new to CNC, dont know how to cad, but want make parts I need. n short I can get all my parts designed in cad for me, no issue there, but I want to cut and produce the parts myself on my CNC.

I bought a new CNC 1000mm x 1500mm, setup to use NVUM Mach3. I dont want to learn anything extra if I dont need to, and would like to know if convert my CNC over to one of these controllers will Easel be able to design, and run the entire machine for me?

CNC System Type:
Shield V3 and driver DVR8825
Maker Shield GRBL
xPRO V5 GRBL
High Torque GRBL

Easel should work with any Grbl based controller.
What kind of parts are you making and in what program is the cad work being done?
You can import SVG and DXF to generate toolpaths with easel.

1 Like

I would have cad files created for me, and I would import them into Easel to run my CNC. I would cut foam, wood, and polycarbonate sheets in most cases. Some shapes would be wings/foil shapes.

My concern is I upgrade my system to a version go GRBL that Easel does no recognize so I want to get the GRBL system it will which seems like the Shield V3 and CRV8825.

For example, the CNC xPRO V5 Controller GRBL Control System I have head Easel does not work with.

Grbl shield works fine with Easel direct contols. I have 2 and theyve worked flawlessly from day 1.