Enclosure plans? [for latest 1000mm with sideboard]

I have read most of the enclosure threads, anyone have anything for the 1000mm with the new sideboard? If I make something, I will share the plans. Would anyone find a torsion box table plan for 2x 4x4 and a few stud 2x4 useful?

I would like to keep the controller outside the enclosure, but that would mean disconnecting the sideboard, also, the cables aren’t too long, they’re made to barely fit to the sideboard location.

1 Like

Ok, no replies, but over a hundred views in a day. :+1: I will post my table. This is the bed I will build my enclosure on.

It’s a 4’ by 5’ torsion box, made from 4x4s and 2x4s (and a 3/4 sanded ply tabletop).

2 Likes

Nice design. You may want to plan installing those jars to front. Or at least one for bits and immediate tools. You’ll need them while you’re working on front.

The table is very spartan. Regarding the drawers, I just wanted access to the full depth, it’s in a corner and I want to stick my 4 foot long lathe in there, as well as dust collection in the back and maybe my compressor.

But yeah, I already don’t like that I cant park a table next to it for fear of losing the drawers. I am thinking of moving them up and putting the x-controller on top of them.

1 Like

I struggle to find a way to place the x-controller, they definitely made sure they don’t need to give you any extra wire.

Would you guys want the sideboard inside the enclosure or outside like this?

1 Like

I like the idea of an enclosure however, what do you do about the dust?

The enclosures I’ve seen still have a dust vector mou yes for around the bit. Then one connecting the enclosure itself.

+1, I built my torsion top from elite 2x4’s that were nice and straight before assembly, once I had it all together and birch ply top and bottom screwed down I put the straight edge across it and it was shaped like a banana in 2 directions. I then took it all back apart and rebuilt from ply materials.

I built an enclosure for my 1000mm x carve when I got it so will share my thoughts on it.

Full disclosure from the start though, I’ve barely used my machine, as shortly after getting it I took a liking to hand tools… and just starting to look back at it.

The enclosure makes things noticeably quieter which is nice. The enclosure keeps dust inside and not on everything else in the garage. The enclosure NEEDS good access to the machine to tighten and adjust parts. Even with this built in, it’s still a lot more of a PITA then it would be if it were open on a table. I like your fold back design for this, I think it would be easier then my doors. I have doors that swing sideways upfront, and the back is actually two separate pieces hinged at the top. I cut holes in the sides for access to the X axis ends.

I went with MDF for the torsion box and it’s been as flat as can be.

I made some changes to my design since I built it. I lowered the front drawer and added the keyboard tray above it, then side mounted a monitor on the top left on a swing out arm. You want to think about where your keyboard/mouse and monitor will be with your design. You want to be able to access and use them easily from in front of your machine. Trust me on that one, having things mounted on the side sucked.

The back non folding part of your enclosure should have some way to access the back parts on the Y rails. The little drawers on the left might obstruct easy access to the left side of the machine being so far forward.

Looks good though.

I did not make an enclosure for mine, but here’s my original post with an exploded view of my torsion table:

This plan was made before the sideboard so would need to be adjusted. I’m about to build a new torsion top because I’m about to upgrade from a 1000x1000 machine to a 1000x2000. (Or thereabouts).

ETA: I would vote for keeping the controller out of the enclosure. It would keep it that much cleaner.

1 Like

Wow @SusanHalla! Many people ignore the bottom skin of a proper torsion box. I ignored it on my table. Mine is very flat, but you’rs is a seriously profi job!

I did not add the laptop stand or the dust collection to the thing because i thought that was easy, I did mention that the vacuum for the dust collection would be underneath. :+1: (I printed out this NewBritt design X-CARVE Dust Shoe (NewBritt Design) by jzhvymetal - Thingiverse)

I am making this top so that it lifts off, when I need to access the back of the machine.

@JeffSyrja - your enclosure looks amazing! awesome work. I have been looking at castors, my garage isn’t the most level, I have looked into self leveling ones, but they’re expensive.

@RobertCanning - How easy is it to align longer pieces and begin a carve that is not shifted or offset? Do you cut some registration marks around the edges?

Thanks for the “profi” comment. I sure don’t feel like it. Especially since I am STILL trying to tune in my machine. Probably because I keep making modifications and don’t ever live with it as-is for very long. I blame @PhilJohnson.

I ended up just getting a clamped-on pole-mount laptop stand for my table and abandoned the slide-out drawer. I also just set up a whole system of tubes and spiral ducts with gates that connects to all of my power tools including the X-Carve, so I don’t have the original dust collection pole anymore, either. See, always changing. The last thing I’ll state is that I bought my leveling casters from Amazon and although they weren’t cheap, they weren’t all that bad. I think these were the ones (https://www.amazon.com/Level-Casters-Nylon-Retractable-Leveling/dp/B00JMV9D0Q/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1489622054&sr=8-2&keywords=leveling+caster) but I don’t remember spending quite that much.

I have “tiled” pieces that are longer than my machine. I have one of @CharleyThomas Triquetra zeroing devices. My design wasn’t the full width of a piece of 2’x4’ plywood so I programmed my carve to take a rectangular cut out of the side of the board (at a very specifically arrived on location based on my pattern) and used that rectangular chunk to re-zero with my Triquetra. It actually worked really well, but because I so often need to carve things that are longer than my Y access, I am going to upgrade to a longer Y-axis. (See? There I go again, changing up my X-Carve! No wonder I swear at it so much.)

I hope that kind of helps - if not, I’d probably have to sketch it up. I’m a visual learner myself.

Oooh, @PhilJohnson! You have inspired me. I’ll have to do a quick tutorial for using the Triquetra for tiling, too. (In my spare time which is pretty much non-existant. But I will have to make some time!)

1 Like

Two updates, the dust collection thing I linked above, it doesn’t fit the latest xcarve model with probe and chain attached. I will update it.

And the sideboard… I wouldn’t really recommend this to anyone. It looks like they plan on shipping other components for it, maybe a relay, but at the moment, especially if you’re making your own enclosure, I can’t recommend it.