Engraving copper

Hi All,

I’ve been testing engraving in copper using an engraving bit. I used the recommended feed speed from Materials in Easel. Cut was a single pass of 0.1mm depth. Total design dimensions of 30mm x 18mm.

Pictures are before any clean up but I’m very happy with that. Now to test smaller but more optimised fonts.

Cheers

Ian

5 Likes

Nice job!

1 Like

Very nice. How did you/will you clean up the edge of the engraving?

1 Like

Very cool. Have you considered using a v-bit?

1 Like

Didn’t bother for this test piece, but usually engrave then cut the piece out. Once enough bits are done they are put in a media tumbler. Basically a barrel that rolls slowly with the parts, water and media of choice, in this case mixed size stainless ball bearings.

This deburrs edges and engraving, work hardens the material and also cleans the surface ready for polishing.

Now I’ve got the engraving and cutting of different thicknesses of copper on the X-Carve sorted, I plan to do an actual project and document end to end.

Cheers

Ian

2 Likes

Hi Steven,

Yes, I’m waiting for one to arrive and now have single stroke text importing working in Easel (Hershey text from Inkscape), should all come together. Combine that with greyscale lines for depth control and should be able to do something nice.

Cheers

Ian

1 Like

What bit did you do to engrave this? I want to engrave a piece of copper as a name plate for a jewelry box I’m refinishing for my wife.

1 Like

HI IAN I am very interesting in engraving and cut copper thin …do you have some info more???how is working yours experiments?..I follow you…thank you in advance… roberto velasco. from Spain…