Epoxy resin

what epoxy does everyone use for cutting boards and tables

I use regular laminating eopxy, 24hr variety. They cure more uniform, cure harder, trap less air and just flow better faster curing types. Table top epoxies can be used too.

Can you link any examples?

https://www.amazon.com/Crystal-Clear-Table-Coating-Tabletop/dp/B07DP6KBSB

Laminating epoxy are usually pale yellow, but depending on application this is okay - otherwise use clear epoxy. Epoxy also yellow from age, UV retarding agents may be used.

I have never used the epoxy but plan on it some day. But if i have read it right in other comments you can color it right?

Yes, epoxy take color quite well. The ideal is acrylic pigments but almost anything may work but avoid water based color sources.

Here is a plaque I made, a couple shots of black spray enamel used to color the epoxy.

2 Likes

Very cool, thanks!

Great epoxy, lots of related products and lots of videos on how to. You can also find them on Youtube for how to’s and project ideas.

1 Like

I ended up using this resin based on a recommendation I had read here:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0797KW5JD/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It worked really well, but is a bit pricey. Takes color well, and cures really hard. Used it to make these:

3 Likes

thanks everyone

If you use West System 105 epoxy, and want a clear finish (not yellow), use the West Marine 207 Clear Hardener.

If UV protection is needed, add a clear varnish with UV protection properties to your finish.

1 Like

WiseBond makes an excellent Bar & Table Top epoxy. It self-levels, is completely clear and has UV inhibitors built in.

In reference to the original post, though, epoxy shouldn’t be used for cutting boards.

Hi, guys! I want to do the table, but my main problem is that I don’t know which epoxy I need to use.
You said about West System epoxy and VViVid. And I read a lot of sites and articles. There is some information about epoxy on the wiki and I think it is true. See this article - Epoxy - Wikipedia. There are two links in this paragraph. Is it good epoxy? Or recommend the epoxy that you used, please.

I forgot to say what I want to do…
That is my first work with epoxy (in that scale) and I want to do something like that. I want to connect wood, iron and epoxy, and mb something else. Filling thickness approximate 1.6-2.4 in
And I don’t know how epoxy adhesives with iron.

I am new to the carving world, I have done some epoxy work with tumblers. I am curious if anybody has used this with wood. UPERCLEAR EPOXY Resin Crystal Clear 2 Gallon. I got it from Amazon have had a few issues with bubbles before. But haven’t done a big pour yet.

Thanks. But I found another epoxy - Casting Epoxy Resin | Clear FlowCast® from EcoPoxy
One guy recommends it to me on one forum. And he said that I can use mechanisms from old unnecessary appliances. That’s exactly what I wanted to do. I have already disassembled my wife’s embossing machine, vacuum cleaner, and TV. So far, I’ve laid it out and I’m thinking about which of these parts to use.

Hello,
There are multiple different brands on the market that are good, but I mostly use Primo Resin as I find that I have less bubble when coating tables or making river tables.

I mostly use Resin bound Paving in driveway is typically around £2,400 in the UK. But for Tables and cutting boards i would prefer laminating epoxy resin. Best for these type of work.

i have a question. Is Epoxy Waterproof?

Epoxy itself , once fully cured is water proof.

Ive used epoxy at a company making cable splices that control remote control submarines at the very bottom of the ocean.

It is not heat proof.