Expanding the x-carve size(bigger then 1000x1000mm?

Angus, attached pictures of the bump. Just quick assembly to see how bad it will be. I can hardly create any motion at all in the joint and hardly can feel the gap with my finger. I think this will work just fine.

3 Likes

@DavidBrooke

Thank you for sharing this!

Iā€™m encouraged to see that someone else has expanded the y to 1800mm. Iā€™ve been seriously considering expanding my 1000mm X carve but have been wary.

Would you be willing to share a parts list for the expansion? I think Iā€™m close, but Iā€™m not 100% sure.

For example, Iā€™m wondering how much additional stepper wire, gt2 belting, drag chain links etcā€¦ I would need to do this right.

Here is where Iā€™m currently ā€œguestimatingā€

1 Like

@DavidBulfin

That looks to be about the same bill of materials that I have came up with for an 1800mm y-axis. The only other thing you might consider is limit switch cable if you are running them. I have been trying to figure out how much of that to get myself.

Also, donā€™t forget that you will have to get longer y-axis extrusions for the base if you are going to configure it similar to a standard x-carve. I am planning on using the makersfoot, so I am thinking that I can do away with all of the 20x20mm extrusions and mount the feet directly to a torsion box vacuum table top like the following:

1 Like

Here is the bill of materials I ordered to make mine an 1800 X 1000.
2) 1800 MM Maker Slide

1. Drag Chain, Inside Height: 15mm, Inside Width: 20mm, Bend Radius: 38mm, 1m, Link Type: Semi Open (basically its a whole new drag chain for the 1000 MM) I used all but about 6 or 7 links.
  2. Maker Slide end plates. I used those for the center of the 1800 MM Maker Slide for supports. They fit on the inside of the maker slide and work great for supports.
    I ordered extrusion brackets. 1000 MM and Extrusion Brackets (gussets) but didnā€™t use those. I went a different way with the waste board.
    13 feet of 6MM pitch 2MM Belting.
    15 feet of Stepper motor cable.
    10 feet of Zip Wire.
    As for the belting and cable, I prefer to have to much than not enough.
    What I did for my base was to set a 3/4 piece of plywood on a cabinet base. Then I cut a piece of 3/4 MDF to fit inside the end extrusions which are 3/4" thick. So it fit just perfect and it gives me an extra 3/4 inch of depth for carving. Then I drilled the holes in for the hold downs.
    If I this is confusing, let me know. I can take some photos to better show it.
3 Likes

Not confusing but the photos would still be nice. Enjoy seeing setups.

That was amazing! He does a great job with the animations and timelapses. Very slick.

@Deepnoizer, how are the MakerFeet (MakerFoots?) working out for you? Have you carved with it yet? Iā€™m curious about those joints and whether there are any artifacts in the work product where the joints are. It looks encouraging from your earlier photos.

Still waiting for more parts I expect to have frame ready next weekend but Iā€™m not rushing it waiting for the x controller. MakerFeet part is done and overall Iā€™m pleased with the way they worked out.

On the pictures you see the cuts and drilling I had to do to make it work for me.

3 Likes

Thanks for the update. Thatā€™s a nice looking setup youā€™ve got there!

looking good

Wondering if you cut the ends of the makerslide yourself prior to joining them?
I donā€™t trust my old chop saw to do a precise enough cut, so I am hoping I can just join the pieces as they are when they arrive. Otherwise, Iā€™ll have to call in a favor to use a friends shop.
Thanks.

My Y axis is 1 meter and 1.8 meter together so I did not have to cut anything.
I had to cut my X axis and I had no issues doing it with my saw.
For some reason it is made look like some mystical skill on forums etc. I purchased new diablo 84 tooth finishing blade. Armed myself in glasses and gloves, can of WD-40. Said good bye to my family and hugged my dog for the last time. Clamped my extrusion with biggest clamps I could find and did some test cuts on some 4x4s to see if all is square.
After my first extrusion cut I was seriously disappointed how easy and uneventful it was, 30 minutes later I was free hand cutting rest of them.
Just make sure to protect your eyes, I had tinny shaving bounce around my glasses and hit my eye, god that hurt like hell !

Thanks. I hate that Iā€™ll be the first to mess this upā€¦

how did you bolt them together? so that there was little to no joint in the middle that would cause a bump as it travels over it

Hi

, someone experienced mount an X-carve on Linear Guide? or know of incombenientes? Thank you

I just upscaled mine with the 1800mm makerslide and taller end plates I cut on the xcarve. it will now cut 64 inches by 31 by 4inches tall. Im making a video of the build . I will post it when done.

8 Likes

Instead of paying lot of money you can go get Maslow CNC for $550 that can do 4x8 or larger sheets

I already had the x carve , upgrading wasnā€™t to much more.

Iā€™m looking to do the same. Do you have a bill of materials that you used for your makerslide, cabling, etc. that you could share?

Eagerly awaiting the videoā€¦