Extremely frustrated with my machine

Does anyone know what size set screw is used?

Takes a 1.5mm or 1/16" hex key. Been meaning to investigate / document that further, but scavenged a screw out of a spare pulley rather than make a special trip to the hardware store.

Ok, some updates. I have replaced the set screw and made sure all were tight. Iā€™m finally getting somewhere with this. Now, my only issues are the y sides of round objects are not working 100%. Example, Iā€™m getting flat sides when I try to cut a heart. Any suggestions? Iā€™ll keep going over it with a fine tooth comb.

Iā€™m sorry to keep posting, but I think Itā€™s actually the x that has issues. I just cut the heart sideways and the sides were fine it was the top that had issues (the dip in the top of the heart).

Check set screw and pot voltage on X?

Set Screws are ok. Iā€™m tweaking the pot switch now to find something that works. I think Iā€™m getting there.

1 Like

little by littleā€¦ :+1:

Again; If you look at the picture, all lines joining together at the end. There is no double line.
If you have low power problem or set screw slippage, you must have double line. Bit never can find same path back again.
Because simply you skip steps.
Tells me only one think; your spindle is not solid. Something loose, either Z axis wheels or X axis wheels. I can tell Y axis is not failing.
If your wheels have thick washer between two bearings, you must find very thin washers and replace them.

I had nearly identical circles when I first started using my machine ( same angle and location of errors). Belts and pot adjustment sorted it out.

Have you secured the ends of your belts with either wire ties or heat shrink? That is specifically what I missed and caused most of my problems.

I swore up and down that I had everything right.

1 Like

Yes, thanks for the correction. BELTS. I forgot. If X axis belt is loose, could be the cause for cross grain cutting.

I think this very well is his issue. This picture was one of my tests when getting the problem sorted and you can see the angle of the lopsided circle is very similar.

1 Like

Exactly the same issue. Circle is closed, all lines matched, but itā€™s not rounded.

So it was a belt issue? My belts are zipped.

Zipped doesnā€™t mean properly tight.
You may follow this link. Also very similar threads on the forum.

And this link for Wheel problems.

1 Like

For me, it was. They werenā€™t tight enough. I used a cheap fish scale and set to 3 lbs pulling the belt up 1" from the middle per suggestions from RobertA_Rieke . Search the forum for his advice posts. It got me sorted.

2 Likes

@AndrewWatkins If it helps, I just put out another X-Carve tip video. This one is on calibrating the stepper motors, so you can get it dialed in just a little bit more if you want.

2 Likes

Hi Andrew, I was having the same issue. Of course , Id checked everything and last night I checked the eccentric nuts and they were a little tight, x and y ones, I loose them up a little and that fixed the problem. I was getting frustrated too! I hope that helps in yours too.

Little tip even if you use Loctite. Wrap a thin strip of tape around the pulleys covering the set screw holes. It stops them falling out and being lost if they get loose.

If you use a patterned tape (or draw stripes on it) it also makes it easier to see movements while machining.

Cheers

Ian

Once I got my ecconcentric nuts set with blue loctite to where the machine was running smoothly, I put m5 nylon lock nuts over the top of them. Cheap at the Orange Depot and Iā€™ve not had a v-wheel issue since.

1 Like

Thanks, Iā€™ll give this a try!