Favorite Bits

i ordered these, and the smaller set today, nearly a month for delivery :confused:

I am a newbie and just ordered my X-Carve. I have been using Dremels for hand carving. Looking to do more complex work than I can do by hand. I have many 1/8 inch bits. I add the 1/8 inch collet kit. Will I be able to use these bits with the Dewalt DWP611 spindle/router?

Thank you,

John

This one: 1/8" Precision Collet Kit for DeWalt 611 - 30634-01. It was one of the options in the configuration menu.

John

@AlanDavis Hope you realise, the link you posted above for In-Tech tools, just cost me $225 - Iā€™d been looking for theseā€¦

1 Like

Didnā€™t understand, is it good or bad. What did you buy. I post that link for 90 degree V bit only. $23.89 plus shipping.

Sorry Alan,
Aussie humour. I bought the V Bit tool and a bunch of other stuff. All goodā€¦

2 Likes

So I grabbed one of the Amana In-Tech 90 degree v-bits and it worked great on the troublesome oak I had been trying to carve. Now, does anyone have any recommendations on 60 degree v-bits? Iā€™ve tried the one from Inventables, as well as a Timberline (made by Amana) from Tools Today. I havenā€™t been thrilled with either.

Iā€™ve been doing 3d carving of graphite (see Has anyone carved Graphite? - #9 by Fredini) using Dewalt 611 with a 1/4" endmill to rough cut, then 1/8" ball nose. The only issue I am having is that I have maxed out the length of the bits, which only give me 1 1/2" max workable depth. Can anyone recommend a source for longer version of these bits? Iā€™d like to be able to go up to 2" deep.

Anyone got a go-to bit for cutting through cuts on .75 inch material? Looking at drillman1 on Ebay, trying to find a downward bit and cant seem to find anything for 1/8in or 1/4in with cut depth of at least .75in

If you make the path into a pocket thatā€™s bigger than the bit, you can use almost any bit as long as the shavings are removed.

Try precisebits.com. Just be careful not to go TOO long because the longer the bit sticks out of the collet, the more it negatively impacts your curt.

Never mind, I miss read the question

source? drilman?

http://stores.ebay.com/carbideplus/

Iā€™m looking for a single flute spiral upcut endmill 1/16, itā€™s my to go bit to cut acrylic but I broke it while moving the gantry, I got that endmill on the starter kit that Inventables sells but it looks like they donā€™t have it anymore, I asked them for information but they said that they never sold it, do you know a reliable source where i can get it?, I only seem to find the 1/8 size or 2.5 mm but I would get it delivered until late march.

here is the bit Iā€™m talking about 1/8 and the broken 1/16.

Ditto what @RobertCanning said. Drillman1 is my go-to bit supplier so far. I usually have my bits in a few days at most. I think heā€™s in Texas, Iā€™m in Maryland.

I tried those bits already but when I cut 0.200" acrylic they create to much chatter, with the other ones they cut like butter

here itā€™s the bit Iā€™m talking about, inventables has it only in 1/8, but itā€™s out of stock.
https://www.inventables.com/technologies/solid-carbide-single-flute-upcut-end-mill

Iā€™ll wait for the 2.5 mm to come to see how good they are.

Which method did you use to stiffen up your Makerslide? The speed youā€™re cutting that poplar is so far from anything Iā€™ve been able to do, Iā€™d love to get to that point.

My X-Carve is only 500x500 so I have not needed to stiffen the makerslide at all. Cutting softwoods like poplar at 90 ipm does not put much strain on the machine at all as long as the DOC is set to no more than half the diameter of the cutting tool.

1 Like

Drillman1 is a great seller. I get all of my drills and endmills from them. Always fast shipping and excellent packaging.