Feeds And Speeds suggestions

Looking for recommendations on what feeds and speeds and depth for pass for the bits I have. I have been running the default speeds that it recommends on certain things but I feel sometimes there to slow or to fast. All the research I have done recommends different things and some recommend some crazy speeds. I cut mostly hard woods and occasionally soft woods. All of my cuts have come out good so far but was looking for suggestions to help production. Is there a chart someone has made to help or maybe even a YouTube video? Bits listed below for reference if anyone has tips for the bit sizes I am using for the end mill bits there all double flute and I have both up and down cut. Any tips are greatly appreciated as this is my first CNC router and I understand that each material is different and it takes a lot of trial and error.

End Mill sizes
1/8, 3/16 and 1/4
V-Bit
90 Degree 1/2
60 Degree 1/2 cutting 7/16th Point
30 Degree .005 Point
Round Nose
3/16 Radius 3/8 Cutting

The best advice I can give for feeds and speeds is:

1. Test
  2. Get to know your CNC
  3. Make Chips not dust
  4. But also don’t go too aggressive that you make the machine chatter
  5. maintain the CNC well, check belt tension regularly (yes, even on the X-Carve Pro, the circle belts on all 4 motors need to be checked and adjusted regularly)
2 Likes

Is there an example of chatter? I don’t know if sound is a good indicator of cut quality as I notice some bits are louder then other when it comes to end mils and I feel I need to slow them down when indeed I may not need to.

1 Like

the best thing is to make sure you are getting, wood chips and not wood dust (saw dust).

2 Likes

After doing some more research I think I’m going to spend the greater part of tomorrow experimenting on getting chips instead of sawdust. Going to go with Amana’s recommended spindle speed of 18k instead of 12k which inventables suggests and work from 140 and increase speed until I find the sweet spot without having the dust shoe on. (Amana Says it should be around 180-210 IPM)

1 Like

here’s a video showing chatter in the standard X-Carve, you can hear the harmonics of it engaging and then kinda bouncing away from the material and then it’ll spring back and engage in more material again and repeat this… this issue is also more prevalent here because it is cutting across the grain here…

Here’s an example of chatter snapping bits, this thin cut causing chatter issue is more prevalent in dense material like metals… thin cuts aren’t too chatter inducing in woods since they are much more soft…

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.