Finishing pine

Tried looking in search engine, but looking for a finish to seal pine so I could paint pockets and able to be sloppy a little to wipe away excess if need be.

I realized very quickly shellac does. Or do the trick despite 2-3 coats.

Yeah that’s the method I do with everything, works beautiful. Just seems like the pine is sucking in the shellac or not coming out. I use a spray shellac and wondering if it’s not coming out.

1 Like

There should be a new category in this forum - " Help by Phil", “Phils Corner” “Doctor Phil” something along those lines, something with a nice catchy ring to it…

4 Likes

Yes I did not do that, that’s probably definitely my issue then

Use wood conditioner before shellac. I’ve found I like it far better than sanding sealer, but that’s me. Try out wood conditioner and sanding sealer to see which you like better.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the great information guys I’m just trying to decrease bleeding if I accidentally nicked the top of the pocket with some black paint

I don’t use anything when I paint my pine v-carves I just find that “not” thinning my acrylic works best. I use artist acrylic in tubes from Michaels and hobby lobby , you’ll can look at every project I have ever done it’s all in pine and I flood with paint , I make messes often go outside the lines afterwards I sand the top with 220, then 400 , then finsh coat.

I just have an acrylic from like a. Joanne fabrics

There’s a cheap store brand next to this that works just as good I don’t have a tube in the house but it’s a couple bucks cheaper.

I don’t use any water to thin it I just glob it on and spread it out

Yea red is a little harder but it all sands out, I dont skim the surface of the wood before I carve because I know I’m going to sand it down pretty good .