Inventables Community Forum

First big carve issue

Hey there everyone!
I just finished my first large project for a customer. But I’ve having an issue with the bottom of the carve being rough. I used a 1/8" for the rough pass and a 60° for the detail pass. Both bits are brand new. Belts seem tight. But as you can see in the images, the bottom of the carve is uneven and rough. I received it at a lower depth and the results repeated themselves.
What could be the issue? !
20200508_152915|375x500

What 1/8" bit are you using?

First pass was with the straight 2F black band.
Second was with the upcut 1F grey band.

can you share the file? I had a similar issue with a carve last year. I did go back through and tightened my v-wheels on my z-axis as well as changed the cutting pattern from offset to raster it helped out a lot. Also I do not use the 1/8 straight flute(black band) for cuts like this as it will tend to leave a line. If you look at the tip of the bit you will notice that it goes up in the middle. This was what was creating the lines the I had.

This is the thread to the issue I had. There is some great advice from members of the forum that you may find helpful as well.

1 Like

That’s the problem, that 2 flute bit is not flat on the end. This is a picture of the tip of the bit

I can see a few things…

1. It looks like there is definitely some difference between the Roughing/Detail Z-Axis heights. You can see this in the large areas close to a corner.
  2. If there are large ridges on the bottom in the middle of where the Roughing carve was then this is normally a sign that your Z-Axis needs some tramming (i.e. it is not 100% perpendicular to the X & Y Plane of travel.
  3. There seems to be some tear-out in some places, so we may have to revisit the thickness of some of the lines on that design. Either that or change the wood species; it looks like that is a softwood?

{:0)

Brandon Parker

Hey man I appreciate you sharing that post. That looks identical to my issues and I will take those tips into consideration on my next carve!! Thank you again!

Dang I never realize that. That could be a source of a lot of my issues. What is that bit good for?

@BrandonR_Parker:
Hey man, how would I ensure the Z-Axis is trammed perfectly? That could be a big source of my problems as well since this is not a first time issue for me.
Also, yes this is a soft wood. The customer supplied the wood to me. Said he picked it up in a large sheet from lowes and cut it to the size he wanted.

that bit is really good for cutting all the way through material. At least that is what I primarily use it for. I do use it occasionally for clearing out pockets for cuts where another piece will set in so it is not visible.

For instance I am rebuilding a small gate for my parents gazebo out of redwood. They want it a very particular way so to make the corners stronger I carved out pockets where I can screw in angle brackets to reinforce the gate. I also used it to clear out the pockets so that the Bauster will set into the frame tightly.

There are several methods to tram the Z-Axis. If your waste-board is completely flat then you can tram the X-Carve with a simple speed-square. Or, you can hook a dial indicator with an offset bar into the router and check it that way. There is a special setup that has two dial indicators on it, but I’m not sure I would purchase for a hobby-grade machine. Just Google “Tramming CNC” and you will find quite a few Youtube videos. Also, check out Winson Moy’s Youtube Channel; he does not use an X-Carve, but he has some pretty good content.

{:0)

Brandon Parker

Like Joe said the bit is great for cutting all the way through things. It works great if you’re using oramask because it cuts it clean.

1 Like