First multi-layer text sign

I was new once, as well, and I still learn stuff every day from this group.

Standard 1/4 end mill style router bit I take it??

Yeah, I think I used a 3-flute downcut spiral bit. I like downcut bits since they eliminate a lot of the small fuzzies that drive me crazy.

How did you end up finishing it? Got some photos of the finished sign?

Photos would be awesome

Sadly, it still has not been finished. Got busy with other orders and it got pushed to the back burner. Will see about finishing it soon.

That is awesome! What bit do you use that gave you smooth sides and bottom?

Hey! It looks fantastic!! I didnā€™t know that Easel could do such technical and detailed work. Like you, Iā€™ve had my X-carve up and running a short time. Iā€™m still experimenting with what it will do. Iā€™m sure that Iā€™ll upgrade to Easel Pro at sometime, but I want to explore ALL that I can do without it first. Thanks for the postā€¦Iā€™m encouraged!

Dennis remember you have 4 free days a month of Easel Pro. That may be all you need

Beautiful job.
I like it.

@RalfFerly. You did an excellent job!!

Iā€™m a little confused about cutting the different layers. In Easel I create a template then make two copies within the same project. The project is a coaster with text that is carved around the border. So the first pattern is the lettering which is cut with a V tool and then cutting the pocket and finally the cut separating the coaster from the raw material. When I create the G-Code it comes out in two separate files. After I cut the text the machine goes to the zero/starting position. I now need to change bits and get out of that program. When I do that I lose all the project zeroing positions. Obviously I can hand copy the X and Y coordinates then rezero the new bit but I thought the machine was supposed to allow me to do that without exiting the file. What am I doing wrong?

Hello @MichaelHaynes, and welcome to the forum.

You should be able to use the last home position during the final setup when you hit the Carve button. One of the last things that pop up asks whether or not you want to use a new Home position or use the old Home position.

It might be better to create a new thread that way all of the troubleshooting efforts for your problem are concentrated in one locationā€¦

{:0)

Brandon Parker

1 Like

I was reading on the longmill site about a brush-on plastic mask when dry, you could then stain or paint around it and then reverse for the next situation. Awesome sign work!!!