First Shot in the dark laser photo engraving

Well After many many operator error issues it’s alive and well. So after doing some test runs with the laser and a little photo editing This is the end result with my best guess settings. A little tweaking and a better grade of wood and I think all will be going well. By the way that’s not me in the photo. Also if anyone is interested this was done on 1/4in. bamply bamboo underlayment 75ipm 0-255 laser power. The only real issue I have Is how to set the acceleration and deceleration of the machine stop and change direction was instant and very jarring.

7 Likes

Shane, I knew you wouldn’t give up, judging by your other videos you won’t let the machine beat you.

1 Like

Thank you. But after all I went through the aggravation the heartache and crying while lying in the fetal position in the corner of the shop on a fresh bed of cnc saw dust. I have come to the conclusion that my machine needed a name. So I named it after my wife (Jolene the Destroyer of Souls).

2 Likes

Does your wife know you call her that? Are you living in the shop full time?

Oh she knows. I do sneak in the house late at night to raid the fridge. Shhhhhhhhh!!!
Really not as bad as you might think she got the name because of a video game I used to play years back (she never plays video games) and kept bugging me to let her play. Well she had no clue what to do with the controller so she would just beat on the buttons like a mad man and would win every time. Forward 17 years later my son the gamer found out how she got the name he has yet to win a game against her. :laughing:

1 Like

Very nice!

From Configuring-Grbl-v0.9:

$120 – X Acceleration, mm/sec^2 (X-Carve Default 500.000 mm/sec^2)
$121 – Y Acceleration, mm/sec^2 (X-Carve Default 500.000 mm/sec^2)
$122 – Z Acceleration, mm/sec^2 (X-Carve Default: 50.000 mm/sec^2)

This sets the axes acceleration parameters in mm/second/second. Simplistically, a lower value makes Grbl ease slower into motion, while a higher value yields tighter moves and reaches the desired feedrates much quicker. Much like the max rate setting, each axis has its own acceleration value and are independent of each other. This means that a multi-axis motion will only accelerate as quickly as the lowest contributing axis can.

Again, like the max rate setting, the simplest way to determine the values for this setting is to individually test each axis with slowly increasing values until the motor stalls. Then finalize your acceleration setting with a value 10-20% below this absolute max value. This should account for wear, friction, and mass inertia. We highly recommend that you dry test some G-code programs with your new settings before committing to them. Sometimes the loading on your machine is different when moving in all axes together.

1 Like

Thanks for the info.