First X-Carve Project - Veterans Day Thanks

With today being Veterans Day, I decided to make my first CNC project something for my brother and his wife who are both Iraq vets. The rough walnut edge is meant to represent the San Juan mountain range in Southern Colorado where we grew up.

I’m pretty impressed with the quality of this first carve. I did the belt re-tensioning, v-wheel adjustments, spindle mount squaring, and tried to make the wasteboard as flat and square as possible. I am noticing one side of the bed is a little higher than the other (maybe 1/32"?) but not sure how to fix that just yet. Also haven’t messed with the pots at all yet, seems to be doing okay, although this carve was only done with a 1/16" bit.

Look forward to your thoughts and feedback!

8 Likes

That is outstanding! Great composition and beautiful piece of Walnut. Good job on your first carve! Hope to see more of you on the forum.

1 Like

I agree with Jeff - It’s a beautiful piece and an excellent first project. Thanks for sharing it.

1 Like

Well done.
Nice composition, first carve and subject matter on an equally beautiful piece of wood.

And please extend the gratitude of me and my family for your brother and sister in law’s service to our country.

JKW

1 Like

That my friend is Beautiful

1 Like

@AndrewBrinkhaus - Great project! I had a similar issue with the bed being un-level. I used Easel and created a 30.5x30.5 cut path across the bed. I saved a lot of cutting time, by using a 1.25" mortising bit with a .25" shank:

http://www.amazon.com/Freud-16-106-4-Inch-Diameter-Mortising/dp/B0000225XE

Worked great! I took ~.040" off the surface which took ~1.5 hrs. This made the bed exactly parallel with the X-Axis. Hope this helps.

I too as a vet salute both your family members!

I love that piece, it actually had me looking 2,3,4+ times at it. I was like wow, I love the stain he used but I guess you didn’t. That is awesome job for first time. I hope my first piece I do is as great.

Look forward to future pieces!

1 Like

That is beautiful - how did you make the top look like it was snapped off? Or was it?

1 Like

It is an awesome piece! That what I was thinking, how did he do that?

1 Like

Thanks for all the comments, guys! Regarding the edge, I specifically chose this piece of walnut because it came from a rough board with a live edge, I just took advantage of that natural beauty and kept it in the piece. No milling required. :smile:

1 Like

Job well done sir no matter how you cut it! no pun intended

1 Like

Beautiful job, sir!

1 Like