Freezing while simulating tool Paths for carve or g-code export

Can anyone take a look at this file and see what I’m doing wrong?. I’ve been trying to carve this design (i’m on a time crunch), but it keeps freezing while simulating tool paths. This happens if I try to carve in Easel, and also happens when I try to export g-code and use a separate program Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Aaron,

I have had this issue a few times. Your carve has a lot of toolpaths in it (a lot of detail), and it takes time to process all that information. One of the things that bothers me about Easel is that the progress indicator moves in chunks, so it can go long periods of time without showing that it is actually doing something, or if it indeed frozen.

The good news is that I am able to see your file (seven tabs with designs), and I am able to export to a file, so if you really do continue to have a problem, I might be able to just send you an NC file.

I don’t know how fast your computer is, but I have a couple. On the little laptop running at about 3GHz, it takes about 6 minutes to generate a Detailed View. On my bigger 8-core machine, it has been working for 11 minutes while I type this and has only made a little progress. I would not be surprised if it takes an hour or more. I’ll let it go and post up results.

I have learned to walk away for a while. Click the button, and go make a coffee and a sandwich, and come back later. I often set my mouse cursor at the edge of the progress bar before I walk away, and if it is further along the line, then it is still doing something. Another tip is to use the Task Manager (in Windows, Ctrl-Shift-Esc), and you can click on the CPU to get a graphical indication of your processor usage. You will see it jump up significantly while it is working on the file, and if it drops down and no progress is being made, then it might be frozen. The Processes tab will allow you to see your browser and how much processor and memory it is using, and if it is frozen it will say Not Responding.

It is probably not actually frozen. It just needs more time. Doing a Detailed View took several minutes (5-7), and Simulating the toolpaths will take significantly longer. I have had this take up to four hours on a very complicated carve. Keep in mind that even to export the file to G-code, it has to simulate the toolpaths first, so it will take a long time.

Okay, I simulated and exported the first tab after I moved it up into the work area. On a 3.8GHz 8-core computer, it took 1 hour and 11 minutes to simulate and export the file. It does work, it just takes a while.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.