Funny things happening

I am working on cutting 1 inch thick HDPE, but am having a couple issues. These cuts have to be precise, but I am not getting circular holes of the size that I need.

And a small part of the project won’t cut.

The black line inside the red circle will not cut. It is part of the shape to the left of the central square.

Also, these holes don’t come out the size that I specify. They are supposed to be 9.6mm diameter, but I have increased the width and height to 11mm, and they are still a bit too small.

What size bit are you using?

can you share the easel file and I can make a quick video to show what’s causing these issues…
Here’s how to share the easel project:

Presumably that small piece won’t cut because it’s set to “clear pocket” cut type and the pocket width or height is smaller than the bit.

Regarding the hole size, there are a lot of factors that can cause this, the most common is belt stretch, or loose v wheel adjustment.
However a 3rd possibility is inaccurate movement calibration, the default settings are extremely close but not perfect, so after addressing V wheels and Belt tension, you may also need to perform the axis movement calibration as shown here: How to Calibrate the XCarve: Stepper Calibration - YouTube

1 Like

No, its not “clear Pocket”. Its “cut on shape path”.

1/8"

Simulate it using a 1/16" and see if it shows it being cut.

1 Like

As far as the hole size have you calibrated your machine?

1 Like

Another thing you can do is measure your bit with a pair of calipers, and input that value into Easel. There are often nominally the specified size with tolerance, so the specified 0.125" might actually be 0.096" in reality. Another method is to cut a test square (just on path) with conservative speeds/feeds and measure the kerf of the bit in the material at several points. That will give you a good idea of any extra runout/deflection you might be getting.

Also, after simulating the toolpaths, click on the verticle ellipsis in the preview pain. If there is an “Uncut Area” checkbox available, select that and the areas where the bit cannot travel due to size constraints will show up in red.

Capture

{:0)

Brandon Parker

2 Likes

unfortunately if this is true:

Then “uncut areas” is not an option as “uncut areas” only applies to the clear out a pocket cut type :thinking:

Sooo just this second i decided to look a little closer at the photo and it appears that your circle has tabs and it is on TOP of the other shape without tabs… this will cause the tabs to win out and it will not cut this part of the main shape… you can move this circle shape to the back and that might work… or you can share the project and we can see the issue first hand and provide more applicable assistance.
Notice that the circle and this TAB are the same grey color, slightly lighter than the Black of the full depth carve…

1 Like

If it has tabs you should be able to change it to cut a pocket that would get rid of the tabs.

1 Like

Yeah, I think the feature still is there, but you are most likely correct that it wouldn’t matter for “path” cuts.

I’m definitely in the “make those holes pockets” fan club. Calibrate the machine and make sure the bit is exactly correct to get the most accurate cuts.

{:0)

Brandon Parker

3 Likes