Fusion 360, and tool orientation problem

Thank you very much for the reply. it does happen during simulation, and while running the machine. But i believe the problem has been solved. It’s not a good time to test it out right now though, (neighbors are sleeping), but when i get home home from work today i’ll give it a shot and post the results. (crossing fingers).

GOOD NEWS GUYS!!!

PERFECT CUT!!! Thank you so much for your help with. I really oppreciate it.

pretty.

so what was it?

In the options for that ‘setup’ the origin was set to the centre of the work piece instead of the corner where Dennis was homing the machine.

correct. It was a mistake made by me, it’s been a few weeks since i did any work, and i over looked that step.

got it. Thanks.

Just to clear this up for future readers, this wasn’t a perception problem. I thought so too at first, I thought Dennis thought the graphics in F360 should show the tool at the origin and that’s what was confusing him.

Dennis sent me a copy of his project to look at and the issue was that he had set up the origin for the job, the home position, to be the centre of his workpiece. Not the corner where he was homing the machine to.

As a result whenever he started the job the machine would start drilling the hole at the home position instead of jogging to the middle of the workpiece first.

Once we corrected the issue with the origin it worked as Dennis expected.

Hey all,

I am having the same issue and am not sure I am understanding the issue. I feel I have done everything noted here. My origin has been set to a stock point for the toolpath I am setting up. Yet, if you watch the simulation (and on Camotics and the actual X-Carve), it just doesn’t start at my origin. It jumps to another location where the carving should start AFTER the move from the origin. Here is a video screen grab I have showing what is happening.

I am sure I am missing something silly.

Thanks,
Brian

Turn off the ‘tool orientation’ stuff and forget that it’s there. What you need is the very similar looking set of options in the ‘setup’ item. In your case it’s called ‘flight box setup’, look in there.

Please let me know how you go.

1 Like

You sir, are a genius!

Just tried on the X-Carve and worked like a charm.

Thanks so much!

One more quick question. It is all working, but when it starts at 0,0 (bottom left corner for my origin), it moves to the first cut location without raising the Z axis, so it slightly cuts in to my workpiece. I have tried various settings as well, but nothing seems to raise it before that first move.

Thanks!

Does it go back to the surface if you raise the tool using your g-code sending software before you start the cut?

I have set up my g28 position and have told f360 to use it (it’s in the options in the little window that comes up when you press post-process).

That way the tool always goes to a set position before the cut starts. You can search for g28 in these forum for details on how to do that.

Having said that, I ALWAYS raise the tool after setting the zero position.

I finally got to try this today. I didn’t do anything specifically in f360, but I did raise the bit and it seemed to work.

Thanks for the help!

You should try a google search of fusion 360 "flight box setup"

Your’s here is the only reference to it in the known universe…

1 Like

That’s gotta be important somehow!