Fusion 360=no bueno

I thought you guys said this was an intuitive program…anyone know of something simpler to use lol?

It’s very powerful, but it requires a decent learning curve - I’m about 3 years in. But there are lots of video tutorials on Autodesk’s site as well as Youtube and their forums are very helpful. I do think that it’s an excellent choice. BTW, if you design something in Fusion, you can then decide whether to 3D print it or use a CNC to carve it.

1 Like

i recommend using http://www.123dapp.com/design

Help_document.pdf (3.5 MB)

Hunker down for a weekend. Lock the doors, hide yo kids, hide yo wife, then buy yourself a bottle of Jameson and get to work studying. The program is legit but like @StevePrior said, it takes a lot of time to learn. I’ve been learning a section when the schedule allows for some free time. I know the hassle of Fusion360 as a fellow novice Carver.

1 Like

Phil, do you mostly use the Sculpt environment in Fusion or the Model environment? Just curious, so far I’m mostly in the Model environment, but I guess most of my projects have been “engineering” as opposed to “artistic”.

1 Like

Currently upgrading the graphics in my computer so I can run it there instead of firing up the laptop.
A good Youtube channel for Fusion stuff is NYC-CNC, it’s a CNC machining site but every Friday he does a Fusion project.

Try and stick with it if you can. I learned by having my duel screen open with youtube videos and just recreating what they were doing. This is a great CNC Fusion 360 video which covers variables as well:

2 Likes

I just want to support Fusion360. Before I was using Sketchup but I am so glad I made the move to Fusion:

• drawing sketches is very easy and powerful at the same time after you learn how to use parameters and constraints
  • going from 2D sketches to 3D objects is easy as well : sketch on any surface and do further extrude/cut operations
  • finally going from model to CAM is very easy and powerful. it takes some time to master all the parameters available in CAM operations, but sooner or later you need them, and then you know them forever.

Things that I don’t yet master (need more time or better tutorials) :

• how to scroll back the time-line and make some changes in the earlier stage of the design
  • how to assemble parts and check if it all works once assembled
  • how to do photographic renderings.
1 Like

i also like QCAD - 2D CAD for Windows, Linux and Mac.

I’ve had it for at least a year and only recently really need to use it. So, when I went on vacation, I brought this book and read it cover to cover. Then, re-read and followed along with the tutorials. Reptition is key. This book is GREAT.

I like Vcarve Desktop for doing my projects I have been learning the Fusion but there are a ton of things to learn. It almost seems a bit too complex for a cam all in one.

Computer all upgraded, nice fast graphics.
Running Fusion360 in a VMware guest is now possible. A second monitor means I can watch the tutorials as I go.
(as soon as I can convince the second monitor to work :frowning:

EDIT: Swapped monitors between connectors on graphics card, seems Samsung wants preference over Dell

1 Like

https://www.udemy.com/product-design-fusion-360/

This is a great free course for fusion 360. I think it was free because it was my first course with them. So try it and see what happens!