Fusion360 Tool Library for all Inventables Bit Sets

This is awesome … much appreciated Joel … thank you for doing this. It’s really great!!!

They’re mostly all solid carbide, they’re as good as you can get in my opinion. I like them for having the color coded collars on them too.

Just saying thanks!

@JoelBennett, first off a huge thank you for what you have done so far.

Some background, my wife and I just jumped feet first into getting the X-carve and we are both excited. My professional background is mainly AEC CAD work (Civil 3D) so I decided to try to learn F360.

I found this post a few days ago while trying to figure out how to run the software. Now I am at the point where I want to add more bits to the tool library. Yes, I know there is a few videos but mainly I was curious if anyone has a tool already for a 1/2in Carbide Tipped 2 Flute Straight and the 1/16in ball nose before I go trying to create my own tool?

I don’t have those ones, but I think it’s a good opportunity to get comfortable with it because you’re likely to acquire some non-Inventables bits in the future and will be on your own.

All you need is a digital caliper really, nothing too involved. Are the bits you’re adding from the Inventables shop? If so, feel free to re-export the library after you’ve added them and we can offer a slightly more complete set for other users. Just make sure you copy the product data into the fields the same as the other tools.

This is awesome, thank you very much!!
I do have a question. Most of these work great in Fusion and then in Easel. However, when I try to use the v-bits in Fusion for a 3D milling, I get the following error: “Invalid tool type for milling.” Does anyone know how to work around this so that I can set up fusion to use the v-bits for fine detailing with 3D milling?

1 Like

This great I was going see how to do this and looked it up and here it was thank really help out alot. No more try to guess what bit to use. Trying to get my xcarve up and working.

just wondering if this is still an issue or how it was resolved? Did you have to add the measurements manually to your local tool gallery? I’m about to try some v-bits for first time and always use fusion360 for cam.

Hi Mike - this toolset is very old, which shouldn’t make a difference in the sense that the bits and measurements are the same, but it’s possible that one of the Fusion updates made adjustments to the v-carving bit requirements. I really have no idea though, I haven’t done any v-carving for a long time so someone else will have to confirm with you. The measurements are just fine though, so maybe try creating a brand new bit with the same specs and see if Fusion likes it then.

I haven’t heard of anyone else having this issue, so it’s a new one.

I’ve found that all of the V-bits are in as Spot Drills instead of Chamfer Mills.

This is something I’ll have to look into tomorrow when I get back to the computer. I haven’t been using my CNC for the past year or so, but seeing as I’ll be finishing my new workshop soon, I figure I might as well get back to being a contributive member here :poop:

3 Likes

Popping in to say thanks. This is awesome. I’m going to try and add the collets for the new Makita (Nov 21) update.

1 Like

Inventable Bits and Makita Holder.tools (3.5 KB)

Just started from scratch to make sure I understood what fusion was asking for. I didn’t make any changes to the v-bit shanks, as I didn’t think it was necessary.

I used digital calipers to grab any dimensions not given directly by inventables so +/- a bit for eyeballing.

Only one I didn’t have was orange! If somebody has the single flute v-carve, let me know I’d love some dimensions off of it.

Hopefully somebody finds this useful. Good luck cutting!

SpeTools published a F360 importable database for their bits recently too If you wanted to add them to your Fusion360 setup:

1 Like