G-Code Z-Scale map using a Z-Probe

Sometimes I find that my depth of carve is slightly deeper in some areas than others.

I realize that this is caused by either warped / non-uniform materials and/or my wasteboard not being perfectly ‘true’ to the X and Y axis.

It would be REALLY cool if Easel could use a Z-Probe to measure multiple points on the surface of the material (for example, the 4-corners and the center) and then build an offset-map to apply to the Z-Axis of the G-Code so that the cut depths are ‘true’.

I would envision that during the ‘carve’ function, after setting the home-position, the user could opt to make an array of Z-measurements. They could be presented with a bounding-box of their material dimensions and then click on a specific area. Easel would move to that position and the user would place the Z-probe on the material, and Easel would take a measurement. This could be done any number of times in different locations, and Easel would create a mesh-map of the height differences. Afterwards, Easel would return to the home-position and use the map to offset the z-axis when generating the G-code.

1 Like

Thanks for your opinion!

The higher-end CNC’s have a similar feature. I figure if it’s good enough for them, why shouldn’t the x-carve have it as well?

1 Like

I know it’s a bit late, but I was also looking into this.
Scorch was nice enough to send me a link that then led me to another application. OpenCNCPilot. It works with grbl to create a z-probe map of a surface.
I have not tried it as of yet (too many irons in the fire) but it looks like it would do the job.

I watched a few videos of people putting foil over the top of their projects then probing. Adding z-probe and feed pause are on my list of things to do this week.