Gantry lift plates

Not to be nosey, but which program do you CAD with?

Do you have a link available for the Z-Axis linear travel rail?

I’ll search right now… Thanks

1 Like

I’m thinking that @RobertCanning is referring to the fact that your stretching the fulcrum out on that axis. Ill bet dollars to dimes you start to get more chatter doing that.

Well i was thinking @PhilJohnson that a plate on a plate may add side to side flex… did u test?

2 Likes

realy nice !

that will be very nice on your x-carve !

1 Like

looks nifty. would you worry about the additional leverage that may provide being an extension rather than milling a couple of new taller y-axis plates?

The leverage will change. Will it be enough to effect the cut quality is the question? It will show up in the (-y) directional cut with an increased chatter. I’ll be tuned in to hear how it goes.

I’m not referring to the rigidity of the plate. I am in agreement with you on the integrity of design of it. I’m referring to increased leverage to the system. Anytime you move further from the attachment point, you’ll increase (magnify) the force and potential unwanted movement. I’m not saying it will certainly be evident, only that the potential is there. I’m watching with trepidation, since I’d like to raise my height as well. Furthermore, I believe that if it is enough to make a difference, it will show up when you travel -y (back) while cutting where it will be prone to “lifting”. Please, Phil, don’t take this as criticism of you or design. I’m watching your exploration with intrigue.

1 Like

V wheels are the weaker link, anyway. IMHO.
John

2 Likes

Question @PhilJohnson
Did u do the torsion test on the entire gantry?
Also did u calculate the properties of the v wheels properly? If so what was the result?
As always… In awe… :muscle:

1 Like

Omg btw did u measure the wall thickness for the new rail? Its FANTASTIC!

1 Like

Can u send me a bunch of pics as u go?
And try following my instructions and let me know if its thorough enough or if its missing anything.
Thanks.

True too. ANY way ur willing to try first?

already done mine. cant get pix now. dont wanna disassemble again.

1 Like

I just realised, if i raise my x-axis i need to lengthen or replace the wire inside for the step motors =(

yup i know… i just didnt think about that…
anyway i need to re-wire, and put some connector to easy remove the powersuply

I forgot to turn my limit switch around when i put the new x rail on and i never could get those tiny nuts back on !! Tried holding nuts with needle nose pliers but then shot both of them across the shop from them squeezing out of the pliers. Couldn’t find either of them. Not having any more nuts that size i just super glued the switch in place for now :slight_smile:

1 Like

That look great

1 Like