Gcode move axis to coordinates

Hello,
What are the commands that i can move the axis in machine inspector to a specfic position.
Need that to zero if i move axis on bit change during 2 Stage carve.
Thank you

Look at the G0 g-code command, or

Search the forum and read as much as you can about G28. This only works if you home your machine.

1 Like

That won’t work. If you accidentally move it while changing the bit, your position is lost. You’d have to home your machine. You’ll need to set your Z again, but XY zero will persist. You don’t HAVE to start your carve at 0,0. As long as your work zero is set the machine will move correctly. That said, I wouldn’t recommend anything you’re not comfortable with.

The Gcode command is “$h”. That’s how you regain X/Y zero.

Just being picky here, but $H is a grbl command and not G-code. It establishes sync between the firmware and hardware and then sets that location as Machine Zero.

If you have already setup Work Zero, then you can start back at the same X Y location using G54 which was set with the previous Work Zero for the first pass.

2 Likes

There is no way to not move the axis on tool change. You always move it and even it is 1/100".
So my plan is:
First stage,
-Home machine (using homing switches)
-Set work zero
-Note done coordinates from machine inspector
-Carve stage 1
Then change bit, you dont need to be carefull about axis.
-Home machine again (using homing switches)
-Move axis to remembered coordinates using machine inspector (you have perfekt work zero again)
-Level Z with probe
-Carve stage 2

That should work fine or?

Home
Set Zero
Carve Stage 1
Change Bit
Home
Set Z zero
Carve Stage 2

Your work zero is remembered by the controller. Just “Use last Zero” (or whatever Easel says…sorry going from memory).

Check your grbl settings? Send $$ from machine inspector.
$1 should be 255. That will hold the motors when idle.

Also, to make it more difficult to accidentally move the motors, it has been recommended by other users to disable the idle toque reduction. On the dip switches, turn switch 4 to Off.

If home and work zero are not same location your chance of hitting same work zero for both carves is not good.
Learn G28 and G30 with bump stop/fixture.
I have never had my spindle move during bit change. So like check dip switches like Neil said.

False. Work zero is set as a relative offset from machine zero position and stored in EEPROM. As long as you home the machine and don’t have your home switches move on you (highly unlikely they move) then your chances of repeating the same work zero for X and Y are like 99.9%.

I can power down my machine, manually move it then power it on and rehome and my X and Y are always dead on.

What makes you say that work zero (setting a G54 offset) is not accurate but setting G28 and G30 are? Both G28 and G30 are using a very similar mechanism to store a specific point where G54 is offset the entire coordinate system and all three are relative to machine zero. You’re essentially contradicting yourself just to point someone to a topic that you somehow view superior even though they’re doing the same basic function.

2 Likes

Ok if you move the machine and the machine doesn’t know it was moved. Then you home so it knows where it was at, how do you get back to last work zero? Doesn’t homing negate last work zero?

No. It doesn’t. Work zero is relative to machine zero. Only way it moves is if machine zero moves which it shouldn’t with homing.

1 Like

Homing achieve one thing, you have a reference point. (Machine Zero, actually most common is maximum extent position since it operate in the negative domain)
Home position (Easel speak for work zero) is an offset of the machine coordinates. As long as that point dont change the offset is kept.

Its like a road map, say you are instructed to go west 2miles, then 4miles south. Your destination can be anywhere if your start point is not known. Homing the machine set a consistent start point, thus the west 2 miles 4 miles south gets you to the same exact spot over and over :slight_smile:

1 Like