Ghost in my machine...? (BUSTED)

ok tried that, no response, try it again, no response, i try $$ a few times no response, try $22=0 again and machine goes ape$h#t

Do you have other USB cables you can try? A different USB port on the computer?

new cable, got this when i issued $X and $$, did not enter anything else

Grbl 1.0c [’$’ for help]
[’$H’|’$X’ to unlock]
[Caution: Unlocked]
ok
error: Expected command letter

different port with $X

Grbl 1.0c [’$’ for help]
[’$H’|’$X’ to unlock]
error: Invalid statement

is it this Mac? should i just use for target practice?

ok after entering $X several times and getting the same alarm lock, i finally got this, got froggy again and issued $H,homing went fine, and now im terrified to do anything else without someone holding my hand…

[Caution: Unlocked]
ok
ok

I feel like your ATmega processor on the Xcontroller is messing up. You’ve got what appears to be data input issues and EEPROM issues since it goes crazy when trying to set the config variable.

You might need to contact Inventables support for this. This could be internal noise between the FTDI chip and the ATmega or issues between the ATmega and the EEPROM.

It’s possible just an issue with the load of GRBL but this,to me, screams of an issue with a chip. Bad solder joints or something.

But Larry might have some more insight that could be helpful.

The last thing that I would try is to reload the FTDI driver onto your Mac. I wouldn’t try to upload the firmware as we cannot get a reliable communications path.

Try to reload the FTDI driver and if you still have failures get in touch with Inventables support. You may need a replacement control board.

After that, try a PC.

1 Like

sounds like a machine ghost in the wires

So Ive found the ftdi website… I just go there and download drive for osx and install?

To use a Chromebook see:

Yes.

reinstalled ftdi driver and so far all seems to be working like normal again. Is there anything I need to know or do now before I attempt a carve? Also, @LarryM @JustinBusby @NeilFerreri1 , I owe you all several fine beverages of your choice if you ever make it down to Edisto Island, SC
Thank You very much for all the help, you all are awesome.

Glad it’s working again. Just do a few homing cycles and do an “air” cut to make sure it’s really working.

Hope you have fun with your machine.

thanks, gonna check this out