Glowforge laser

It would be nice to be able to retro-fit a laser to the X-carve, but I doubt that Inventables will do it.

Not that they can’t, but the safety issues would involve a large change to the device and bring liabilities that are substantial.

I know that there are individuals that are already using an after market laser with the X-carve.

For the laser power levels used for cutting you would need to have a light tight enclosure for the X-carve with interlocks to remove power when the enclosure is opened.

Also, many materials produce toxic gases when cut with a laser, you would have to have some method for safely removing them from the work area. There are other smells/gases etc. that are not toxic, but would make a much better work environment if they were removed as well.

So, before everybody jumps all over me, let me just say that each person decides what risks they want to take in life and I’m not saying that this is the only way to do things, just from the viewpoint of a company these things would have to be taken into account before releasing a product to the public.

The laser upgrade kit would need to come with an enclosure and fan system.

Yeah, I would buy it.

You should look at this:

A 6 watt solid state laser is the strongest available to mount to the X-Carve at the moment. There are too many mechanical obstacles to mount a 40 watt CO2 laser to the X-Carve easily.

For me, the price of the cheap Chinese laser was cheaper than buying parts to make a higher wattage laser cutter/engraver.

Actually, I am going to use the new laser to make parts for a x, y gantry for my Jtech laser.
It is based on Mr. Beam http://www.mr-beam.org/

Lasers are like potato chips, you can’t have just one!

Well, if nothing else, this whole thread has gotten me thinking lasers. I might be talking with the Epilog rep right now… :smiley:

If you’re willing to do one serious modification, you can setup 40W laser equipment to back of the X-Carve, it’s matter of mirrors, not the distance. You can install mirrors to X rail then 45 degree angle to Z axis which will hold lens. All you have to do is, make Z stationary while operating laser. So how do you integrate Arduinos to Stepper communication, you start thinking. :smile:

@AlanDavis If you noticed I said “easily”. Anything is possible with a little elbow grease and tenacity!

1 Like

:smile:

Also, at that kind of wattage, you really want a laser-safety enclosure, with seriously robust interlocks. That much coherent light is rather dangerous to play with if you’re not excessively careful.

That’s not a problem. I setup the work, let my wife hit the start button and watch it. :flushed:

5 Likes

Ah, the problem with that plan is that it only works twice. lol

You’re right… Didn’t think about it.

1 Like

The other big problem is Z axis you have to move the table up and down not the focusing mirror.

Dave

You can use different lens, existing lens holder already up and down movable for focus adjustment.

Imagine my surprise when my CCL (Cheap Chinese Laser) showed up today!

Will update my trials and tribulations!

3 Likes

Looking forward to seeing how it works out for you!

Well the software provided is not the greatest. It is sold as an engraver so the software is graphical based, not vector based. It works and burned a few pieces of wood.
Will not have much more to tell until I get the ramps parts for the upgrade.

Well, you’re at +1 or so already, given that it actually powered up and lased!

6 days, we’re still waiting for news. I think you lost yourself in cable jungle. :slight_smile: