GrblGru: Free CAM program with 3D simulation for mills and lathes

Hello. I have a question. I have assembled and calibrated my 3 axis laser machine and everything is working fine. I want to etche design with laser on sphere… Any tips how to set center in GrblGru? Is possible that laser starts cutting from center out?
Greetings,
Boris

@BenjaminEngle
That GrblGru can read the model some things have to be considered. Unfortunately you cannot align the axes arbitrarily. For lathe models there are some additional features. I will try in the next days to provide you a manual for it. So it should be possible for you to import your models yourself.

@BorisKosak
You can determine the position of the reference point.
I have created a short video for you. Hope this helps.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o7b67mnenp5mov4/laserRef.mp4?dl=0

Thank you very very much! I appreciate it!
Greetings,
Boris

Thank you, that would be most helpful as I could modify the model to work for my situation.

I have added the special features of the lathe to the instructions on bit.ly/2suKAJe_Import3D_gb. I also attached the step file of the model that I created.

Please let me know if anything is still unclear.

CollegeLathe.stp (473.6 KB)

Hello Grbl Gru,
The instruction manual is extremely helpful. I will continue to mess around with the program. This is an incredible program!

I played around with the CollegeLathe profile on version 3.34.2 and the simulation works flawlessly. However when I run the code on my machine the X axis is flipped and runs in the opposite direction even though the simulation shows it moving in the correct direction. I have tried changing the settings where the tool is flipped and I still can not get the actual machine to work. When the program is run it moves in the correct z direction but the opposite x direction in turn cutting air. Is there a way to change the direction of the x axis so that the machine moves in the correct direction? I hope this all makes sense. Thank you.

I was actually able to fix this for the time being by inverting the direction of my x axis stepper motor.

Release notes V3.35

On my Dropbox a new version is available for download. bit.ly/2xF1KJ8_GrblGru_Release

The pocket milling functions were reworked and completed with a StepOver input. Also the production of chamfers is now possible with V-Cutter as well as limited with normal EndMill.
I will try to make a video about this soon.

I am especially pleased about the provision of Spanish texts by user DANTRON. He also contributed 2 very nice 3D-models of his self-constructed milling machines. Thanks again for that. :slight_smile:

Have fun with GrblGru

1 Like

Hello! I’ve been using your program for my lathe for a long time, it’s great! After the last update of the program, in the tab " Default jobs “missing"THREADING”. Could you tell me how to fix this? Still very much it would be desirable to have an opportunity to do an internal carving. Thank you very much for your work!

Benjamin3, the Job Templates are just examples of templates you can create yourself.
The easiest way is to copy an existing template, rename it and then change the parameters.
This also applies to your tools. For this I have created a video. See release notes 3.3 in this thread above. The procedure for the templates is the same.Then you can save all your templates in one file. It is best to save them in a folder outside the GrblGru environment.Then you don’t have to be angry again if I overwrite something with a new version. Sorry for that :slight_smile:

Hello GrblGru,

I am just completing building my cnc and am in need of a cam program and have come across your software. I would love to download it and give it a try. I have been trying for a while but every time I try your dropbox states too many requests. Do you have any other way for me to get this?

Thank You.

Gary

I’m sorry, Dropbox surprisingly changed its business model, which had the consequence that the download of my program didn’t work anymore.
I now have a homepage GrblGru.com from which the program can be downloaded.

3 Likes

Thank you for the quick response. I will get it ASAP.
G

Thank you very much for the detailed explanation. I have two suggestions for threading on a lathe: 1. At the end of the program, you can register G52 Y0, otherwise after the first pass, the system rewinds the Y coordinate, this happens for a long time. Try to cut the thread 2 times in a row on the same settings, you’ll understand what I’m saying. Perhaps there is another code to reset the coordinates. 2. You can cut the internal thread by inverting the x-axis. I created 2 buttons $3=1(inverting the axis) and $3=0 (returning to normal) in the toolbar. After threading, press the button $3=0 and the axis returns to its normal state. I really like your program, thank you for your work!

1 Like

I’m very glad you like my program. And of course your suggestions for improvement are always welcome. I will consider them in the next version. I also hope that I will soon be able to provide the use of carbide inserts.
Again, thanks a lot. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Release V3.37

Most of the changes in the new version concern the lathe mode again.
Because Carbide inserts are used more and more often on hobby lathes, I have now added this type of tool to my program. In addition, I have revised the complete turning handling once again and I hope that the operation has now become even easier.

Many thanks to my friend Leonardo, who helped me a lot with his suggestions and good ideas on this topic.

Free download from my website at http://GrblGru.com

3 Likes

Great work! I really like sound of this instrument.
I tried to record it in my personal music. Sometimes, it is not simple to record it on microphone. I used Rode NT1-A for this.

I like how it sounds here:

Hello GrblGru.

I don’t know if itsa a bug or not but every time i try to create my own machine it says that i successfully writes to the machine.dat file. If i try to add another machine with the same name it says that the machine already exists (This is expected) However i mention this as when I Create my machine its not in the drop down to select and use?
I also would like to know it its possible to add another variation of a 5 axis machine? Very similar to variation 5axis_1.
Basically you would have the z Axis inverted and carried above the running cage so that it lifts up and down like the 5axes_3 except instead the a and b axis would be attached to the z axis? That way the arm cant get in the way as it drops from the top. This design will also allow for dual y-axis motors and a much stronger frame design for those tough jobs and also to allow for larger steppers and spindles.

Kind Regards,
Bain Viljoen

Hi Bain,
thanks for giving my little program a try. :slight_smile:
GrblGru only displays machines in the selection box which are entered in the machine dat AND of which the 3D models are available.You made the entry in the machine.dat with the help of the machine manager. You can also check and change this with a normal editor (e.g. Notepad++) in the file “C:\ProgramData\GrblGru\machine.dat”.
I suspect that you have not loaded any 3D objects. The file with the 3D objects is in the folder “C:\ProgramData\GrblGru\Models”. So if you have e.g. created a machine “5axes_4” GrblGru searches for a file “5axes_4.tco” in this folder. If this is not available, the machine does not appear in the selection box.
In the appendix you will find instructions for creating the 3D model.

You cannot create a new machine type yourself. I have to do that. If you can send me a 3D model (step, iges), I will try to make a new type out of it. The model should be very simple and only represent the type. Once I have created the kinematics, you can create a more detailed model.

Import_3DModel_gb.pdf (6.4 MB)