GrblGru: Free CAM program with 3D simulation for mills and lathes

Hi GblGru,

My skills are currently very limited and i started only recently on a course for using Fusion360.
I can currently only make a flat surface with some holes in it XD.

Can i draw you a picture with pencil as to how it should work?
I’m sure with your skills and current models you will be able to construct it in a short amount of time?

If this sheds any clarity as to what im referring to please see this machine below.

And here is nice example of the A+B axis that is attached to the Z-Axis, ofcourse all the dimensions should be configurable as if somebody(like myself ) is planning to make a huge machine…

Hey GRBL GRU,
I am anil. I am working on Laser engraving a Long Bord with curved surface. The laser focus differs with different heights on the curved surface. How can I solve this problem with the software? Is there any extra Arduino Pin dedicated to this problem solution? hope you can help. Thanks in advance.

@BainViljoen

I think I understand what you want. But if you could still draw a manual drawing it would be very helpful.
But you have to give me some time. At the moment I don’t have the time.

@AnilKumarTotakura

Unfortunately, I don’t have a laser myself, and I’m not a laser expert either.
I don’t know the size of the waves on your surface. Small differences can perhaps be compensated with the intensity. For larger differences I think you need a Z-axis to keep the distance between the laser and the surface constant.
In both cases you first have to scan the surface to find out the differences.
I don’t dare to control the intensity, because you also have to consider the dependency of the speed. I think the case with the Z-axis could be done with GrblGru.

In any case I recommend to take a look at the Laser Forum at:
https://www.everythinglasers.com/
There are a lot of laser experts who might be able to help you.

Release notes V3.38

In my new program version V3.38 I once again worked with the function G38.2 for milling.
This good and at the same time easy to use function makes it possible to scan uneven surfaces, e.g. to engrave them afterwards.
The same applies to the production of PCBs, where any unevenness must be compensated.
GrblGru also offers the possibility to scan STL objects in simulation mode.

Download, as usual from my website at http://GrblGru.com

Have fun with GrblGru

5 Likes

Release notes V3.39

the topic of measuring and probing with the help of the G38.2 function hasn’t quite let go of me yet. It’s fascinating what you can do with a 10 Euro Arduino and the GRBL program.

A friend of mine provided me with an old discarded probe, with which I could demonstrate the handling in the attached video. Since I unfortunately have a tendency to use temporary solutions, the mounting of the probe is rather suboptimal. :slight_smile:
But my main goal was to be able to show the actual measuring.

In the new version, I have also extended the measurement spectrum so that you can now measure in all directions. This makes it possible to measure angles, find centers and much more.

Free download from my website at http://GrblGru.com

Have fun with GrblGru

2 Likes

Microsoft Security Essentials (Windows 7) says “Detected threat being eliminated” whenever I try to install, and it deletes the unpacked installer.

Please check your virus program and its settings again. I check GrblGru regularly with the professional version of Sophos. I am also not aware of any reports from other users.

1 Like

I uploaded it to Microsoft, they pronounced it clean.

I think my problem was in trying to install it from my Dropbox folder. When I copied it to my desktop, MSE no longer reported a problem, and it installed without any issues.

Thank you for writing this program. I can see I have a learning curve to start climbing, so I’ll be watching your Youtube videos.

I thought I read somewhere that you have included drag knife compensation in GrblGru. Is this true?

Yes, it is. I have sent you a corresponding video in the Maker Forums.

Release notes V3.40

I have recently been repeatedly referred to the clamping board I used in the last video. That’s why I decided to introduce my self-made clamping system and of course the small clamping device.
For those who want to try it out in practice, I have also included a template in the program. This should make it possible to create an individual, tailor-made design.

As usual the short video shows the necessary handling.
The program version can be downloaded from my website. http://GrblGru.com

Have fun with GrblGru

2 Likes

with a greate thank for your amazing software. a question:why grblgru from 3.37.3 version up does not create job for unimat and all other turning machines.
i am waiting fpr you answer.

Some time ago I changed the lathe functions and adapted them to the milling operation. Please have a look at the video of release V3.37 in this thread. I just tried V3.40 again. It should work.

1 Like

with great thank and excuse. it was my fault because i would have click on the drawing in 2D part then create the job and it worked. I think a working manual is very necessary. Again i hope you continue your great job.
God bless you.

Release notes V3.41

I have dealt once again with strategies for milling pockets and reworked the corresponding function in the new version V3.41. An overview of the currently available methods can be found in the short video.

Have fun with GrblGru

Thank you for creating a great program. I have tried to run it on an Arduino Mega using the GRBL Mega 5X version to get 6 axes. Ordinary movements - XYZA - seem to be running well. Unfortunately I cannot get the probe function to work. The probe is wired to Pin 15 as usual. I’ve made a very simple touch probe for scanning surfaces - simpler than your needle probe. I can call up the probe function and fill in the axis details as on your video but the probe will move Down about a mm then up to whatever pullback I’ve specified. The probe then never touches the surface of anything and the Z axis keeps climbing higher. Do you know if your program will work with a Mega in this way? I plan to revert to an Arduino Uno and lose my 4th axis for now until I can get something that does the probe function. I haven’t managed to get an Arduino Due to run yet. Might be the wiring pinout I tried or the default stepper status set to off. I would appreciate any suggestions.

I am sorry, but I have no experience with GRBL Mega yet. The scanning should work the same way as the GRBL.But I just ordered a Mega2560 and will try it and tell you here.

@JeffHankinson

Got my Mega 2560 yesterday. :slight_smile:
I have a new beta version V3.41.1 on my website. I added the new controller type Mega-5X.
Now you can use the two rotary axes A and B as well. I also adapted the probe function to the Mega 5X protocol. I tried the probing on my 2560. It works now.

Because I have still problems to move the steppers, I’ve some questions to you:
Which version did you flash. Grbl 1.1h ?
Can you please send me your $$ settings.
How did you connect your motors ?
Do you use the Ramps Board ?

I think I need to make some more adjustments. For example, the joging buttons are not yet working properly. But I am sure that we will solve that too. :slight_smile:

Hi Grblgru. I am using Grbl Mega 5X version 1.1L. I got it from the Github Grbl site but you have to read at the beginning and choose the one Only for Mega 2560.
Nothing special about my $$ Settings. I use Grbl Panel to look at them and set them. There are a couple of extra settings at the end for the rotary axes. I chose to wire my Nema17 motors to TB6600 drivers and those directly to the Mega 2560 board. It took quite some time and looking to find the correct pinout. All the pictures I found are wrong. I found the correct pinout in grbl-Mega-5X/grbl/ cpu_map.h file. The correct pinout comes After the Ramps section.

I will try a Ramps board tomorrow probably since I want to use your great program with another machine. It should work as long as I can get Pin15.

I have an Arduino Due but the Mega 2560 board seems easier to set up and use.

I think my probe function problems are because I did not set up my Grbl in Negative space. I was trying in positive space from 0 0 0 and the probe just kept marching higher : (. I will try telling Grblgru that all of my limits are negative tomorrow. I hope this is helpful for you.

Hi again Grblgru. I forgot to mention that with the ‘help’ of Google Translate I was able to mostly translate your German user manual. Some of the words were just too complicated for Google but I am slowly editing the manual so I can learn a little more. It would be helpful to have a section discussing how to set up Grblgru work space limits and setup etc. Thanks