GrblGru: Free CAM program with 3D simulation for mills and lathes

Thanks for your feedback. This looks like a bug in GrblGru. Can you please upload the DXF file here ?

1 Like

GrblGru @Linux ?

I have been asked many times if GrblGru is also available for Linux. Until now I always had to deny this.
But now a clever user has found a way to run GrblGru on “Wine” under Linux.
According to him it is still possible to improve the process.

Since I have no experience with Linux, I can only pass on the instruction on my website at the moment. (See https://www.grblgru.com/)
I would be very happy if the Linux gurus of this forum would take a look at it. :slight_smile:
Necessary information and also changes for further improvements I will gladly provide.

Have fun with GrblGru

1 Like

@GrblGru - thanks for the quick feedback. Attached is the DXF. Program version was 3.49.7

collet holder.dxf (2.7 KB)

1 Like

Hello Roman
I analyzed your file on CamBam, the problem is sequence of object creation.
CamBam generates your reference ID.
See attached screenshot and file.

Armando

collet holder2.dxf (1.9 KB)

1 Like

Hi, this is interesting. So it seems GrblGru omits the last object created in the model. I had the same issue with three different DXFs and everytime one random feature was gone. Useful to create a workaround and for @GrblGru for debugging :blush:
Thanks a lot!

1 Like

I have fixed the bug in the new beta version V3.49.13 Thanks again for your help. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Awesome - thanks @GrblGr, will test right away.

Hi GrblGru,
Im quite impressed with your program and are settings up my hobby setup with GrblGru.
In that regards I have read the manual and seen all (!?) your videos on youtube.
When it comes to setting it up with Notepad ++ there seem to be a file missing that you refer to:
GrblGru GCode.xml
Can you please make sure this is included in the setup file as well?

And a question: do you know if anyone has made GrbGru work on Raspberry PI?

Best Regards,
Per Ivar

Thanks for the info. You will find the XML file in the attachment. I will fix the bug in the next version.
At the moment GrblGru does not run under Linux. But it is being worked on. :slight_smile:

GrblGru_GCode.xml (5.0 KB)

Just a short information. On my website there is a beta version V2.49.14 with the new operation mode “Tangential Blade”.

1 Like

Hello GrblGru
Whenever I appear it is to report a Bug.
When importing or exporting the DXF file, an element called “bulge” with code 42 is missing.

The math expression is:
bulge = tan (sweep angle / 4)
bulge = heigth / (length / 2)

Armando

Hello GrblGru
Whenever I appear it is to report a Bug.
When importing or exporting the DXF file, an element called “bulge” with code 42 is missing.
Attached DXF reference file.

The math expression is:
bulge = tan (sweep angle / 4)
bulge = heigth / (length / 2)
See screenshot of CamBam.
See screenshot of Visual Studio 2019.

Armando

autocad_2012_pdf_dxf-reference_enu.pdf (1.1 MB)

Thanks for your feedback.

But I have not yet understood the problem.
The screenshots are very indistinct. Unfortunately I cannot see anything on them.

Could you please describe in detail what is not working ?
In which program does the error occur ? Do you import a file to GrblGru or export a file to CamBam? Is there an error message ?
Can you provide me with a DXF file that does not work ?

GrblGru
See the file attached here.
Open the file in another CAD program and see the difference.
More information on the cnczone forum.
Armando
CB to SVG test.dxf (1.6 KB)

1 Like

Ah, now I understand you.

But I have to tell you that I cannot interpret the complete DXF command set. I do not use a library but programmed everything by hand.
You can see from the amount of the manuals that there are countless commands, some of which are only available for historical reasons. There are also some commands with mathematically very sophisticated functions, whose realization would require a lot of work and time.

The DXF import is only a small subitem in my program and I hope you understand that I want to concentrate on the most important things first. But I will put this item on my todo list.

Thanks for your help

Dear friend GrblGru,
It doesn’t matter which version of DXF.
See attached a part of the source code.
See some references:

seeDXF.txt (13.2 KB)

Yes, I understand what it is.

1 Like

@GrblGru
My goal was to help you, the software is yours!
I installed version 3.49.19 and didn’t like what I saw.
I lost interest…

Armando

Afternoon GG
I am building a cnc of the low rider format with some modifications.
I have just come across GrblGru And use it with grbl 1.1m on a mega 5x system.
In the main, the portions of this that I use, are straightforward, thanks.
Is there a switch or function that turns the spindle on and off please.

I am quite sure there will be other question as I use this program more.
Thanks for the ability to chat.
Stay safe

Lesli

@Br52
It is very unfortunate that you have lost interest in GrblGru.
But of course I accept your decision and would like to thank you again for your help in the past.
Wish you a good time.