Great Price on Shop Air Filtration System

@PatrickLesher

Please run the test again but this time do not turn on the air filter and see how the air quality varies just by letting the particles settle out on their own.

2 Likes

Unfortunately I havenā€™t had a chance to get back at it, but it is a great idea for a test. Hopefully I will this weekend.
I did do some sanding with the belt sander which was 3ft from the meter and with the DC on the meter didnā€™t jump at all, but while we were cleaning the house it jumped up to the 1200ā€™s and took a few hours to settle.

1 Like

I was able to do a number of more ā€œtestsā€ over the weekend and yesterday that I thought were interesting.

I did a bunch of sanding with the belt sander and no DC running. The meter jumped to over 6000 pretty quickly. It took about 4-5hrs to settle down. About an hour in it was down to 3500.

This morning I went out to the garage and it was running at 3300. I thought that was strange since I hadnā€™t done anything so I thought it might be pollen. I brought it inside the house where all the windows were open and it dropped down to 150 or less. I took it back out to the garage and it went back up to around 3500. Turned the air filter on and after 3 hours it was down to the 60ā€™s.

A woodworker I follow every once in a while did a video on his meter and filters. Iā€™m finding similar results to him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GH8uqGjAxJo

Iā€™m not familiar with this Dylos product, but is it more specific with its terms or does it really say ā€œbigā€ and ā€œsmallā€, because as people have perported the air filter will remove particulates of certain sizes while redistributing others of lesser size. And I donā€™t think ā€œsmallā€ is precise enough to define whether or not your reader is even registering the very small particulates that we all should be concerned with.

Iā€™m not being contrary Iā€™m just curious. I was reading this thread a couple of weeks back and it pushed me to do what I had already been considering ā€“ to somehow improve the air quality in my shop. I had considered an air filter, but after the info related here I decided against it. I instead ordered a ventilation fan and stuck it in a window. Massive improvement. You talked about doing test cuts on a bandsaw, thatā€™s nothing, try running a flap sander for a several hours, those make very fine dust and throw it everywhere - and I have two running in my shop. But the ventilator fan has changed everything!!

I know the ceiling filter has improved the air quality in my shop and the tests with the air quality meter seems to prove it makes a huge difference.

I might be crazy but for my air filtration I just use a box fan with furnace filters.

1 Like

I do the same thing

1 Like