Grouping toolpaths in vcarve pro

Does anyone have any tips on grouping toolpaths in a project do that I can put the bit in an run multiple areas without re zeroing to start a different area using the same bit?

When you’re saving tool path, on top part you’ll see " Output all visible tool paths to one file ". Put check mark to small square, then start choosing tool paths yo want to join together by clicking squares next to it. They all save into same file.
If it is not same Bit, software will give you warning.

thanks. also, do you know a good rule of thumb in regards to number of depth passes? for example im using a 0.8mm bit. ive heard you should go 2x the diameter of the bit.

It depends on wood hardness. Lets say, your wood is soft pine, you can go 600 mm per minute and depth is 1.5mm. If your wood is Oak, you can go 200 mm per minute and depth is 1 mm per pass. You have to experience. Start with small numbers. .8 mm bit is tiny bit.

thanks! is there a website that you know of that I can look at for reference?

http://www.woodworkingcanada.com/r5/showkiosk.asp?listing_id=4994023&switch_issue_id=57167

I find I’m often using only a few types of wood and a few basic (favourite) bits, I keep meaning to do some tests and make myself a simple table. Hmmm, one of these days…

Another thing I’m considering is to setup my commonly used bits in the tool database for common wood types. For example:

• 3mm downcut, in Pine
  • 3mm downcut in Jarrah
  • 90 degree V Bit in Pine
  • 90 degree V Bit in Jarrah
  • etc

Alas, every time I go near my machine, I’m impatient to build my next masterpiece and don’t have time for that other stuff…

I set up a new group in the bits section labeled “My Bits”. I copied all the bits I use on a regular basis and made additional copies of each for the materials I use. Each labeled for the material type. So I have a 1/4" 60° v-bit pine with speeds and feeds and plunge set for pine, one for oak, one for cherry…etc

This works well for me…

Good idea. I use a good amount of hardwood so I will do test runs and note those as well.

I’ll post them here if anyone is interested.

@ZacharyNorman I’m sure everyone will appreciate anything you post. I suspect we’ll all kinda need to do this for our own machines and materials, but a good starting point would always be appreciated. Particularly when starting on a new project in a new material - I’m about to start on acrylic and can see lots of tests coming up.