When i get home I will try to find the DXF of the ones we made last year if anyone is interested.
Here are two pumpkin shapes I used to make these out of 3/4" pine. I used the font Zombie Holocaust:
I’ve made one so far.
I have a few mapped out in easel that I need to get time to run through.
This was made with MDF.
Quick question. Does DXF file have to go to v carve the SVG then to easel or can this go to Inkscape to easel?
Cool. I have a few I’m working on in easel Ill post.
I have a couple I’ll share when I get finished. 4’ board used for one and not sure on how I’ll finish the other.
Thank you. I’ll give it a try today
Some very nice designs people.
That is wicked cool looking!
It’s not much, but, here is the black cat from the “Black Cat Chalkboard” from two years ago’s Halloween contest:
CatFront.dxf (247.5 KB)
Some BatsBATS.dxf (1.0 MB)
I should post the scariest thing ever…
… marriage certificate with my ex-wife
still sends shivers down my spine
My tombstones from last year:
What material are those tombstones made of? Doesn’t appear to be wood
Is that foamular I see? I have one but have not tried to carve it yet.
Any luck @GaryBowden? I’m intrigued by Jacks cross =)
My wife is trying to find them as she was the one that did the drawing…
We should one day get sorted
do you have to seal them somehow to paint or just spray paint them?
Spray paint will eat into the foam so you either need to use house paint or seal the foam first.
Plain house paint works really well. (I always look at the clearance rack in the paint section)
Maybe glue on some peat moss and add some long strings of hot glue for webbing
But the plain foam is kind of fragile. So in places where I know people may touch the stones I like to add some kind of hard coat and texture.
I did a MDF tombstone last year and coated it with sand mixed with outdoor wood glue.
The sand worked really well to add texture.
I mixed in a bit of stucco color powder to try to give it a nice grey color. This didn’t work out too well as I used too much powder and it would up being almost black. The problem is the glue darkens as it dries, so when I mixed in the color it looked fine when wet. So keep that in mind when adding color.
The other problem I had was that the house paint I was using to paint the stone would not stick well to the dried glue. So the dried glue texture needs a spray paint primer coat first before using any water based paints - like on the letters.
Oh a side note the MDF stone has been sitting outside, behind the garage all year and seems to be in good condition.
I used MDF because no one local stocks full sheets of the fomular. ;(
I made it in 4 Layers, Back, Thick middle, Front (with cut text) and decorative frame
I did it this way so to save time as it was all 2d profile cuts instead of 3d or pockets.
I made the thick center section hollow to try to save weight, but the thing is still way to heavy.
Next time I will take the extra effort to track down some fomular sheets.
FYI: I have tried a lot of different glow in the dark paints over the years, even making my own from powders. I have found that Martha Stewart’s Glow in the Dark Decoupage works pretty good. It takes 2 to 3 coats to match the ultra glow paint I got from the internet but it costs 1/10 the price and they have in stock local to me