Harry Potter Coasters

A big red one. :slight_smile: I think it’s a Kenhui - basically a Chinese import, 700x500mm, 100w, with a Ruida controller.

They’re nice to have. There are a bunch of jobs that you could do on a CNC, but are better suited for a laser (like thin veneer work, or things with really sharp interior corners). Likewise there are things that you can only really do on a CNC.

As for the coasters, I think those were cut with about 18% power, so a much lower power unit could have done that job.

I like those, what is a good source for the slate tiles, I’d like to try this on mine.

I just bought them from Amazon. Look for “Slate Coasters” and a range of stuff shows up.

1 Like

dude that is clean

1 Like

They actually look significantly better in person. The pic here is relatively low-res, from Facebook. They turned out way better than I expected.

1 Like

Me, too.

Any Harry Potter projects are good by me! :crystal_ball:

I love the look of those crests on the slate. I’m going to have to try this myself!

1 Like

Man you got me looking at lasers now, you think a 40W will be able to do most things? Have you had to use full power before?

Engraving will be easy with 40w. For cutting it depends - I go 25mm/sec @ 80% power to cut 1/8" acrylic, so you’d need 1/2 speed or 2 passes for the same cut, at 100% power (which you should avoid running at, or you’ll burn it out faster). Thin woods, like 1/8" birch ply cut easy, and stuff like EVA foam or depron cuts like butter. If you don’t mind it taking longer, a 40w will probably do just fine for quite a while.

Awesome, thanks for the information.