Hefty Price Increase

I think $155.88 to $233.00 a year is a hefty increase.

can you used this with inventables instead of easel?

the Xcarve uses their Xcontroller, this board set is a grbl based controller and will run perfectly with any number of sender programs, Candle, UGS, PicSender, GSender, or the one I posted the video of OpenBuilds Control. :+1:

1 Like

Seth, now Iā€™m drowning. I guess I missed something. Will the x controller not work with UGS or other senders other than Easel?

If you use another program and a post processor you do not need Easel at all. When you use vetrics and the post processor you need another program to run the file and then you can eliminate easel.

1 Like

You said that you are already using Vectric for your design work.
Alright, install a grbl based file sender of your choice and move on.
Nothing to be afraid of and you will not regret it.

1 Like

The opposite of that actually, the xcontroller works with so many sender options!!

:+1:

1 Like

Vectric also has there own sender called VTransfer. Unfortunately, itā€™s not a high priority in Vectric development. Itā€™s fairly basic, but it does work once itā€™s set up.
Unfortunately, I canā€™t find where to download it anymore. Here is the user instructions.

https://docs.vectric.com/docs/V9.0/Cut2DLaserDesktop/ENU/Help/VTransfer/VTransfer.html

@WayneHall So it is not a plug and play per se? Once I download VCarve I would need to download a post processor(no idea what that is)? It wont directly ā€œconnectā€ to Xcontroller?

1 Like

You would need to save the files to the xcarve then you can download it into whatever you want to run it in. You could run it in easel or any other program you choose.

Hereā€™s an example of using a seperate sender programā€¦ in this video I make the flag within easel, but then export and use a different program as the sender, the same export process is also done in vcarve, or Fusion360, or carvecoā€¦

Obviously you can skip ahead to the near end of the easel process if you want to see the export and import process in the other programā€¦

First off I will say that I donā€™t really use Easel as I have other software that Iā€™ve been using for years. Today was my first time using the X carve in a while. I replaced my old x controller with a new x controller. The boards must have changed some because the old version of UGS on my Win7 laptop wasnā€™t happy with the new X controller. Now I tried a Raspberry Pi with their version of UGS and while it worked, it obviously had some issues that caused programs to stop mid stream. After a couple of these issues, I decided to buy a windows 10 laptop and ended up downloading the more modern version of UGS. This is where things stand now.

I thought maybe Iā€™d try to use Easel to generate some gcode on drawings Iā€™m drawing elsewhere. It just seems to be kind of clunky in comparison to a dedicated drawing program and obviously has tool and shape limitations compared to CAD program. Also, I know my workflow Apps pretty well and having to learn new, although easy software, still has a learning curve to it.

Anyway I guess my point is that UGS works just fine to run the X controller. With my last project, I drew in Rhino. I saved as a DXF. I loaded the DXF into Easel. Easel generated the GCode. I ran the Gcode through UGS and the X controller and made my two parts. If I had to pay for Easel to generate drawings or Gcode ( I was using Cambam up to this point), Iā€™d just buy Cambam for one price to own it. I think Easel is probably good for somebody with no experience in CAD/CAM. It can do a lot, but learning how to draw and create Gcode with more powerful programs is also a benefit without the limitations.

Yes, for sure not renewing. It is lacking in many ways, a moderate increase would be acceptable but not how they are doing it. I have to drive 8o miles from mu remote shop to hook up and get the software to load on the screen. if it shuts down I am done until I have to go back to town to get internet and reload the browser again. I have call inventables for a solution but they just seamed not to care. I asked for desktop version but they said none available. Many companies are heading to SAAS just for being able to trap the customer. Not a good method in my opinion. If it is loaded and I am not having issues there is no reason to update. They seam to think they make a change for the masses it is better, to many software companies usually make more mistakes and do more harm than good. Another I have not seen anything that shows the new features. Me not renewing. Have you seen what the price is for making the platform a 48", just over $12K.

I agree. I will not be renewing

1 Like

Cancelled my subscription todayā€¦was too large of an increase.

I for one got the notice today, being on SS I cant pay that beside I only use X carve when I am home and not camping so basically I run x-carve 3 to 4 months year, so as of today I cancel Pro
Bob

Ohh so that was why I got the mail from Brandon from Inventables praising all the Easel progress made in 2021ā€¦

Now there is a reason for ā€œLets go Brandon!ā€ :wink:

2 Likes

Does anyone else get the feeling that Zach is not running the show anymore?
You never hear from him.

1 Like

Zackā€™s britches arenā€™t big enough for the shat that filling them, plus he needs to keep his investors happier than his costumerā€™s