Hefty Price Increase

Seth, Could you help me with setting up the settings for the x-carve in OpenBuilds Control Software?

1 Like

There isn’t much to setup,
top left, click “connect” (easel will steal the connection if it’s open so you either have to plug in usb and be fast to click it, or close easel bowser) then Home, it’ll home as normal, all of the home settings are stored on the CNC itself…
then “open gcode” folder and load up your gcode file

and setting the Z probe setting (click probe wizard button, then at the lower left, open the options and select Z only, then open the settings and enter the thickness, then probe it :slight_smile: ) for X,Y you’d jog it to position using the arrows and then “set zero” for each X and Y separately, they are set at the left next to the location readout part…

and you’re good to go

Send the carve, and if you want to adjust the jog speed, there is a slider for Feed rate (you can ignore the spindle RPM slider if you’re using a router)

And As i show in that video, there is a phone control option, just click the wizard, go to the QR code and scan that, it’ll open a web page (if your on the same wifi network) and you can jog it via a phone instead of PC.

I also have another video showing me using it to make a Flag that I do the design work using Easel… Same Channel as the above video (i don’t really want to flood this thread with any more self-promoting links)

Thank you, i was going to try it and the damn belt on the z axis just fricken snapped
So i have to order a new belt now. GRRR. I will try it out when I get the new belt in

1 Like

100% agree with you on this. I just started my own CNC business and have been using Easel in the early going. It’s a fine place to start but as you mentioned it’s missing features that quickly become noticeable. My biggest thing is they told us the price increase is coming, but gave ZERO justification. Not even something as vague as a ‘We have big plans to expand Easel with this price increase.’ No hardship plea due to the pandemic and not having enough workers… nothing. Just here’s a price increase because we said so. I’ll be cancelling my Easel account and switching over to VCarve Pro. At least there you own the software.

4 Likes

This is why I went back to Carbide Create / Carbide Motion. I’m also looking at Vectric now…

Go with Vectric.
You wont be sorry.

1 Like

Agreed. And you are also not dependent on an internet connection. Everything is on the laptop including your gcode sender of choice ( unless you continue to use Easel as a sender)

Vectric approves of Inventables decision.
I’m glad I got in early and get a few free days a month of Easel pro for free. I wouldn’t pay a subscription fee to use something from the same company that cost me thousands in the 1st place. Disgraceful double dipping IMHO.

I just wish Vectric software worked on Mac. I would have moved over years ago.

I’m relatively new (4 months) to the CNC Router but I’m already veering away from Easel as a viable product. The only items I’ve found useful are the “box maker” and “image trace” and I’m sure those are available in other less expensive programs. I’ve got the Easel Pro as part of my X-Carve purchase for the next 2 1/2 years but after that (maybe sooner) I will move to something else (Vectric?). I’m using Fusion 360 for the 3-D modeling and it does 10000 times more than Easel at only twice the price. Easel is a stone age product trying to pass itself off as something special (which its not), nor is it worth the price they’re asking. I may use the free basic Easel as a conduit for the g-code but other than that its just not worth it.

That’s exactly my problem, I work with a Mac as well. Easel pro was great for me to start CNC’ing (Shapeoko 4XL) and I would have loved to continue using it but the price is just not worth it for me anymore. But what are the best Mac alternatives for a CNC beginner?

Use Parallels on your Mac. Windows runs in a virtual machine alongside MacOS.
https://www.parallels.com It is a more stable Windows environment than a PC.

I started with Easel and then bought Easel Pro which I really found strange to have to do just to be able to v carve. It helped me understand the concept of a CNC better and I am grateful for that. However, I knew the Icon rich environment was going to limit my cnc’s capabilities so I purchased Carveco maker. It doesn’t “Have it all” but, no software really does. I would like to continues using Easel but, like you, I am shocked at the increase in price. Because of this I will probably migrate away. Too bad since I really liked some of its features. Good luck to all.

download the trial and see if it works for you. if you decide you like it and buy it its yours you own it.

VCarve Desktop Product Page | Vectric

1 Like

Thank you, Sir! I will do that.

Also download either OpenBuild or UGS (universal Gcode Sender) and you’ll be totally free of Easel unless you just keep the standard freebie. Add the post processor for what ever sender you choose, save the file with that sender and off you go. Look at Seth Hoops’ video about OpenBuild.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.