Help Selecting Objects in Easel

Am I the only one that is driven crazy by Easel’s method of selecting objects. It sort of works for the most basic drawings but I can’t figure out how to make it work when things are more complex. For example, the project listed below.

It is what looks like a simple drawing of an OWL taken directly from easels icons. Lets say I want to remove one of its eyes. It appears the eye is made of 3 circles but actually each circle has 2 more circles layered below it. So there are actually 9 circles making the single eye and like i said I want all 9 of one eye gone.

How can I do this in Easel? In any other drawing program I have ever used you just drag a select box totally around “ONLY” the eye and it will select just that item. If the box runs partly through another object it is ignored. But with Easel EVERYTHING touched is selected. (Some apps do this with a select box pulled from right to left but the opposite drag get just enclosed items are selected)

Am I missing something? How is this workable. How can I select ALL the eye parts above but not effect the other objects.

2 Likes

I agree, the selection process is not ideal and frustrating at the best of times. I find it best to just select one object at a time and delete it/modify it. Not the fastest, but it works.

I do the majority of my geometry outside of Easel and then bring it in, just and easier work flow for me.

Your EASEL project is not shared with the public. For people to view it and provide advice you will have to share it.

{:0)

Brandon

Sorry, I made it public. (or at least I think I did!)

But the objects I want to manipulate are “within” the other objects and I don’t want to delete/modify the outer objects. I realize I can select multiple items and then hold the shift key and one at a time eliminate the individual selections. But that only seems to work sometimes.

Can anyone successfully manage to delete the three rings of one eye? If so - how did you do it?

And I guess a better question is - why don’t they fix this?

Knowing which object is the top object is really the key.

Having smaller objects on top (front) is what I find works for me, but it depends on what you are doing and how the objects must be placed to achieve the desired cut.

I took a chance and selected the inner (smallest) ring of the eye first, pressed shift, then selected the next larger, and then the largest.

Each of the circles actually looks like it is made up of three circles so it took three "Delete"cycles to remove the eye completely.

Here are images after each delete.

After First Delete

After Second Delete

After Third Delete

Is this what you were trying to achieve?

{:0)

Brandon

Thanks for the explanation - I see what you are getting at and it is possible although cumbersome. Looks like it takes 9 clicks (assuming you hit it dead on each time) and 9 deletes to accomplish this. I guess my problem is you should be able to do this with one drag and one delete. Sixteen extra actions to complete a simple task seems a little excessive…

1 Like