Help with carve created in adobe illustrator

So I am fairly new to wood working, and finally got my own CNC up and running. While I am having fun learning and carving what I can, can someone tell me why the machine/bit makes random, deep holes in the artwork??? One could say that the artwork was bad, however I don’t think so because I purchased this from ETSY and have the original file. When I opened it up in AI, it looked very clean, and opening the layers, I couldn’t see anything that would indicate any issues. The file was uploaded in easel as an SVG, but it seems everything I have created and exported from Adobe Illustrator has had some sort of issue. Even if I “expand the object” in AI, then export to either a PNG, JPEG, or SVG, none of the carves have been perfect. What gives?! What am I doing wrong, and what am I missing to get these carves to go smoother? Pics attached for reference - look at some of the lettering and you can see the different plunges it took.

1 Like

Cool Eagles text

Can you share details of the bits used, and also can you share the easel project?

also without knowing more, I’d look at reducing the stepover of your v-bit. - my experience is with
the v bit stepover being too wide, the v-bit will plunge deeper or shallower to meet to the width requested for some lines. (I’m new myself so I could be wrong here)

Here is the link to my easel project. Thanks for taking a look! I used the 90 degree V Bit that came with the XCarve package.

1 Like

Looking at the machine settings on this one, I left everything at the original settings:
Safety Height: 0.15
Step Over: 40%
Origin Safety Height: 0.15
V Bit Step Over Detail: 1%

1 Like

Just based on looking at the w in wind, I’d suggest you check to make sure your belts and v wheels are tightened appropriately. It looks a bit sloppy. Otherwise I’d combine the elements (in easel) so there are no hidden circles behind your layer. Also make sure your feeds and speeds aren’t too fast for the type of wood you’re using. That looks like softwood, but hardwoods need to be slower.

1 Like