Help with disaster during two stage carve

I have no clue what happened here. This is my first time using the two stage carve feature. Normally I just do separate carves when I have different bits on a piece, but I was excited to see how much time it would save if I let easel calculate what the hogging out but could take before the detail bit.

Well it didn’t work. I homed the machine after changing bits which I always do. I re-used my prior x y zero which I always do. The piece is on my x and y axis fence and is secured and didn’t move.

This carve was the first time I saw the lock motor option under the keyboard control button. I assume this is to make sure the motors are locked while you change bits. But I Home after changing bits anyway so this is a mute point right?

I’d appreciate any help. Belts are equally tensioned.

1:

• Correct.
  • Also make sure your GRBL parameter $1=255
  • Inside the Xcontroller, set all three switch#4´s to OFF (this disable idle stepper current reduction, so max holding torque is on at all times (no need to utilize the Lock button)

2:

• Yes, moot point. But something did slip, either during the majority of the first stage, or early on the 2nd.
    Only way to really know is to check that the bit return to true work zero after each stage, if it does it hasnt skipped steps.

Haldor can you help me out with your second bullet on your first point?

Also make sure your GRBL parameter $1=255

I’m not sure what that means.

Thanks!

This might help you :slight_smile:
$1=x where x = the time in milliseconds of idle status before reduced current function is enabled.
$1=255 => which is the highest value allowed = never idle, which is what you want.

Awesome this fixed it. Carriage must have shifted during bit change. Which I still don’t understand because I homed after bit change.

Is there a way in machine inspector to see what the actual x y zero numbers are so that in the event I lose it I can just enter the values instead of jogging the machine?

Thanks for your help!

-Ben

I suspect your machine lost some steps prior to the tool change - or soon after. Hence when re-aligning machine with design (homing switches) still came out misaligned relative to what was previously carved.