How I make custom chocolate molds

There are a lot of ways to do this, some less expensive than others, I suppose. I use a food safe rubber, which makes for a reusable and multi-purpose mold… you could use it to cast gummy candy, chocolate, or really just about anything, and it’s super durable.

The process involves creating a blank that you will create a mold out of, which I guess could also be 3D printed, but milling it is way cheaper and faster. Either way, for anyone who just wants a 3D model to start from, I have the 100 most popular boy/girl names available on my website to download for free. ( chopbangbuzz.com ).

Also should you be inclined, check out the video I made of the process, it’s pretty quick and fun

Okay so, for the story in pictures, here are the steps:

Obviously first you need the blank of what you intend to make a mold out of. This one was designed in Fusion 360:

I machined everything out of HDPE. You could use just about any plastic/wood/other though. I would avoid rubber, since it might bond with the rubber used to create the mold (seen in later steps):
2 - machine or 3d print

Another shot of the machining:
5 - machine or 3d print

Okay! So you’ve got your blank(s), you’ll need a box that you will pour rubber into and cover the blanks. You want this box as small as you can get away with… so maybe 1/2" to 1" of space around the parts should be sufficient. You can go as big as you want, but it’ll waste a lot of rubber:
3 - make a small box

Since I was making the box from foamcore (You could use acrylic, cardboard, even plastic food storage containers), i locked it all together with hot glue, which also prevents leaks:
4 - use hot glue

Hot glue works to hold down the blanks too… you don’t want them moving around or floating when you pour the rubber. However, if you have double sided tape it would be better for this (The glue has more thickness so holds the part up slightly higher and rubber could creep under)
5 - hot glue down blanks

Everything glued down, looks good… notice the sticks, those are just there to reserve that space for sticks after pouring chocolate (you’ll understand later):
6 - ready for rubber

Just pour the rubber in! Start form the lowest point and pour into it, so the rubber fills upward rather than pouring over the top and having it run down over everything. That way you minimize air bubbles. Also, if you have a vacuum chamber, you can use it to pull any microscopic bubbles our of the rubber before this step. If you don’t have a vacuum chamber, just pour from up higher in a thin stream and it should be fine.
7 - pouring rubber

The pour is complete, now just let it cure for a while.
8 - pour complete

Break away the box, and you’re left with your mold! Now the fun can start!
9 - break away box

Gently melt down some chocolate/candy
10 - melt down some chocolate

Pour it into the mold…
11 - pour into mold

Put the sticks in if you’ll be using sticks.
12 - put the sticks in

Once the chocolate hardens (you can speed it up with a refrigerator/freezer), gently peel away the mold. It’s rubber so you can be relatively aggressive without harming it.
13 - carefully remove chocolate

In this instance my mold makes 4 at a time. Imagine having to do 30 of these and only doing one at a time! It’s best to set this up for batches like I did.
14 - makes four at a time

Here’s wha one looks like, in white chocolate:

And of course, the whole purpose of this, was a baby shower! Here it is on the table waiting for guests.
16 - final final

Hope this was helpful to some people. Let me know if I can clarify anything. As I mentioned, 3D files of a TON of names are all pre-made in STEP format for anyone that wants them at chopbangbuzz.com

More projects coming soon!

16 Likes

Where do you source the rubber?

For the purposes of this video just an smooth-sil kit on amazon.

Scroll down here just a bit and you can see a list of lots of the stuff I used for this: How to Make Custom Chocolate Bar Molds

1 Like

There are a ton of 3D models with names on them. I can also add the fusion 360 project file if that’s of any interest.

2 Likes

Thanks Phil! :slight_smile:

This is great!

1 Like

Haha thanks Marc! I posted a couple other projects/builds over the last couple days and was wondering why nobody seemed interested… guess I just had to offer everyone candy :wink:

Chocolate, flowers and cold, hard cash are all great incentives.

1 Like

I have to try that - great idea

1 Like

how much of the silicone from the kit did you use? right now its about $40 shipped from amazon. I am looking at making custom molds for other businesses and im trying to figure out a price point per mold. if i use up $40 of silicone, then it might be better for me to go with vacuum forming instead for the molds.

Maybe half actually went into the mold

It’s very hard to beat vacuformed molds price wise, but the rubber is far more versatile and can do much more interesting things

Hi there! Anyone using a vacuum former to make customized molds for their creations?

This guy is using Vaquform

I checked their website… quite pricey but i think it’s reasonable…

I have seen cheaper machines but this one doesn’t require you to attach your vacuum cleaner or preheat your material using an oven.

Anyway, i think this could be a great investment for small-medium scale businesses specially those that involve customization.

What do you guys think? :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Showing another photo…

While I don’t disagree with your selection, I have the Formbox and couldn’t be happier. Even if I have to use my own vacuum source it still works like a champ. This looks like a really nice vacuum former though.

1 Like