How long is the computer communication cord?

Hey guys so I’m still waiting for my xcarve and trying to prepare for the day it is here. Here is an interesting question that someone with an xcarve could answer for me. I built my table next to my office/computer station. I have two desktop pcs. I’d say the distance is 2 or 3 feet from the table. So that makes me wonder how long is the cable? If it is not long enough I’m gonna try to find a longer one. My goal is to run it so that I can avoid tripping on it or breaking the connection accidentally.

Is it the same as any printer cord?

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/purtek-12-ft-usb-20-printer-cable-ptusbab12/6000121286022

Hoping this one matches. Only other question, I wonder how much the performance of the cord will be affected with a longer cord.

I have a 6ft cable it’s just a standard printer cable

The cable that comes with the Xcontroller is a 6 ft. USB cable.

It is a USB Type A to USB Type B cable. It’s the US site but here’s an Amazon link to the type of cable it is (and the linked one is 16 feet long):

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-USB-2-0-Cable-Male/dp/B00BCWALHM/

I’ve seen USB webcams work with 30+ ft of extension cables but the longer you go, the more potential for problems.

I should be good! It’s all in eyesight worst case I do have a wireless keyboard with a trackpad. :slight_smile:

1 Like

How far can you run a USB cable?
Active cables are essentially 1 port USB hubs. You can use a regular USB cable in conjunction with an active cable as long as the regular cable is not more than 5 meters (16 feet and 5 inches) long for 2.0 devices and not more than 3 meters (9 feet and 10 inches) long for 3.0 devices.

Google is soo good for info…

Google is also good at giving out misinformation. Every electrical system/machine works differently! So why not ask the specific question in the specific forum.

Mine is 16 Ft , connected to 2.0 . Never have problem. Problem was mouse and keyboard, I used simple USB hub, stick it to office window glass, I can see the mouse receiver.

Or you can use a usb game controller. I personally havn’t done this but plan too eventually.

I also have found that you have far less usb communication issues with a desktop vs a laptop. I found this out years ago when I started my vinyl graphics and tee shirt business.

If you use a laptop you have to use a powered hub. This way the power issues are not a problem.
I use a laptop but its beefy and I have no problems.